Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist
16045978

Does Lamictal help with anxiety?

Does Lamictal help with anxiety?
Thanks for your question.

Lamictal is an anti-epileptic medication that is sometimes prescribed for anxiety and/or depression, although it is not one of the most common medications used to treat these types of problems. It is generally used if some of the more common medications have not been helpful, or if your daughter was having some negative side effects from the medications she has tried. If she has been on the Zoloft for a significant amount of time and you are only seeing minimal benefits from it, it does sound like it would be worth having her medication reevaluated. Studies have shown that the combination of therapy and medication produces the best results in working with these problems, so if she is not already in some form of counseling, you may some further improvements if she were to incorporate that into her life.

I hope I've been able to answer your question and I definitely wish you the best in helping your daughter. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Ryan
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience: Individual and Family Therapist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ryan, Thank you for your answer. With the symptoms I have given, if Lamictal is not the best solution, can you give a few medications you might advise that have worked in patients you have treated? We have three bipolar children, and medication is the only treatment that has worked in our other two children. Counseling did nothing when they were in the state that our daughter Alyssa is presently in.

No problem I'm glad I can help. Some of the more commonly used medications used to treat anxiety and depression are Prozac, Lexapro, and Effexor, and there are several others as well. Zoloft would be included in that list. Although sometimes it does take a few tries to find a medication that works, I have seen many people have success with these medications. I do understand what you mean about counseling not working with the state your daughter is currently in. However, if you find that a medication adjustment helps her to become in a better frame of mind, it may be worth reconsidering so that she can start to work on some better ways to cope in addition to the medication. Having three bipolar children and knowing that your daughter tends to become manic every few weeks, it may certainly be worth having her screened for bipolar disorder as well. In that case, the easiest thing to do may to have her meet with a psychiatrist who can do a proper assessment and address the medication situation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you ever so much Ryan! We do have an excellent doctor who Alyssa meets with and has done so for the last 2 years. The doctor has diagnosed her with bipolar disorder and has her on Zoloft. He is willing to try other medication since we are only getting very minimal results. He has hoped with time she will get better, but that is not happening yet. The reason I went online this morning was to try to get my daughter more help. I want desperately for her to get her life back. I was hoping for advice that might be a better solution for her condition. Our doctor as well as my husband and I are willing to try anything to help her. Maybe your advice for counseling might be what God is wanting us to try. I believe that God is sovereign, I love Him with all my heart, and I know He wants to help us. I just want to do my part to find the solution. I have been praying the whole time you have been reviewing my question that God would give you wisdom in helping us! Our situation needs some guidance at this point in time. Thank you for listening :)

That's great to hear that she has an excellent doctor, and sometimes it is difficult to find the right medication. I do believe that there is a good reason that studies have shown that the combination of counseling and medication is most effective, however often with such severe cases it does take some time in order to start seeing improvements in counseling, so it is easy to get discouraged. Reintroducing it when she is in a better frame of mind can make a big difference. At this point it sounds like it is safe to say that a change is necessary, and with change there is always the hope and possibility for better things, so I certainly wish you the best. It sounds like she has a great and loving family by her side, and that can be just as important in her managing this more effectively

I have to log off for a couple hours, but please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. If this has been helpful and you wouldn't mind leaving me a positive review it would be much appreciated. All the best,

Ryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Ryan. Hope you have a blessed day! I will give you an excellent review. If a possible medicine possibility to try comes to your mind, feel free to email me the suggestion. I know it can take years to find the right medication or combination of medications.

God bless,[email protected]

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Relist: Other. We have tried the answer that Ryan gave with no positive effect. Ryan was prompt in answering my original question, but in my 2nd question, I was hoping for medication suggestions to help our daughter.

Lamictal is not indicated for treating anxiety.

Lamotrigine (Lamictal) is among the first line medicine and often the preferred choice for treating Bipolar disorder patients. It is specially useful in the depressive phase of Bipolar disorder and also help in preventing future manic or depressive phase.

Another very good option is Aripiprazole (Abilify) which is also a very effective mood stabilizer and is approved for Bipolar disorder maintenance and as an adjunct to antidepressant for depression.

She is already taking Zoloft which can very effectively control depression and anxiety symptoms, but since she is diagnosed as a case of Bipolar disorder and antidepressant like Zoloft can further destabilize the mood when used alone so her doctor can consider the option of adding either Abilify or Lamictal to Zoloft and this should be helpful. These medicines can effectively control her mild manic episodes.

Abilify being an atypical antipsyhotic can also control her delusional thinking in addition.

I hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further if you have any other query.

Kind regards

Vikas
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much. This is the advice I was looking for. God bless!

Thank you again!! Shelly

Hello Shelly,

You are most welcome. Please feel free to discuss further if you have any other query.

Wishing your daughter a very early and speedy recovery.

If you are satisfied with this answer, please rate one of the positive ratings / smiley faces as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Kind regards

Vikas