Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist

My daughter age 9 complains of hearing things in her head at

My daughter age 9 complains of hearing things in her head at night. She can't fully describe them but they scare her and she's afraid to go to sleep. What could she be going through?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. L replied 1 year ago.

Dr. L :

Dr. L :

I would like to help you with your question.

Dr. L :

I can only imagine how upsetting this is for your daughter...and for you.

Dr. L :

Certainly when something out of the ordinary happens to us we become afraid and unsure of what is happening. In the case of your daughter...she thinks she hears something but she's not sure what it is, where it comes from, and what it means. So..it would only be natural and normal for her to be upset by this and then have some difficulty with sleeping.

Dr. L :

The first thing I suggest is that you take her to her pediatrician for a hearing test. Perhaps she is experiencing ringing in her ears, or perhaps there is post nasal drip and it is creating pressure in her ears...which then feels odd.

Dr. L :

I would have her fully evaluated by her pediatrician and see what answers you receive from that.

Dr. L :

Then..if they find nothing at all physically wrong with her, I would encourage you to set up an appointment with a child psychologist to have her evaluated.

Dr. L :

Has she had any recent changes in her life? Family difficulties? Poor grades? Social pressure?

Customer:

We had an issue when she was younger around age 3 or 4 and she used to see bugs crawling from her skin and once she has stated that there has been a voice that said "hello",

Dr. L :

How did that issue with the bugs resolve itself?

Dr. L :

Did she just grow out of it?

Customer:

Although I am her mother she isn't living with me because I am in the military and because of the job it was best that she stay with my mom. Her grades have not suffered and I believe she is doing ok just at night she has this issue.

Customer:

With the bug issue she sort of grew out of it but sometimes she still has dreams about bugs

Customer:

bad dreams

Dr. L :

Okay...so part of this may have to deal with being away from you.

Dr. L :

And her discomfort that you are away and maybe even some fears about you coming back to her safe and sound.

Customer:

I would like to think so but out of the 9 years that she has been born I've only had her live with me for about maybe a total of 3 years and she would prefer to stay with my mom.

Dr. L :

Thanks for the clarification.

Customer:

She didn't want my mom to tell me about this issue, not sure of why.

Customer:

She even stated that she wanted to speak with someone

Dr. L :

If she is asking for therapy then by all means get her therapy.

Dr. L :

Okay...so she may feel confused about this behavior and want someone to help her understand what is going on. She likely knows that grandma doesn't have the skills to figure this out.

Dr. L :

And she probably doesn't want you worrying about it because you can't solve it either.

Customer:

Yes because my mom is super worried about her because she will not sleep at all. She would rather stay up instead of going to sleep

Dr. L :

I would encourage you and grandma to set up an appointment with a child psychologist. That would give your daughter a chance to work with a professional to understand what is happening. I'm sorry this is happening!

Customer:

She saw someone a couple years ago about the bugs and they seemed to think she was ok but of course she was 3. As much as it scares me I'm going to have her see someone.

Dr. L :

I suggest that grandma call the pediatrician and ask for a referral. There may be a child psychologist working in the same clinic...or the pediatricXXXXX XXXXXkely has someone they work with.

Dr. L :

It is very hard to communicate with a 3 year old...they have such limited language skills. Now she is much older and will be able to communicate quite well.

Customer:

I think that's the way we're going to go. I just don't want her to think something is wrong with her because that's what she thinks

Dr. L :

I understand...I would assure her that why you are taking her to a therapist is for the purpose of understanding what is happening and solving it. You can explain that if she broke her foot you would take her to a doctor to look at it, to bandage it or put it in a cast, to give her crutches, and to talk to her about how to care for it while it healed. In this case, you are doing the same thing. There is a "hurt" and she will be seeing a doctor to take a look at it, to come up with a way to heal it, and to give her the tools she needs to heal.

Dr. L :

Does that make sense to you?

Customer:

It does.

Dr. L :

Great. I understand the taboo against therapy and that people often think you have to be crazy to get this kind of help.

Dr. L :

But that's not true at all. Whenever we are not functioning well...broken leg to broken heart...seeking help is how we go about mending.

Customer:

I completely understand, being in the military we sort of get that stigma. I just want her to be ok

Dr. L :

Absolutely!! And...she likely is okay...but right now she might be going through a rough patch and would benefit from having someone to talk to and get out some of her feelings.

Customer:

Understand...well I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX answering my question and although I'm not jumping for joy I'm going to have my baby talk with someone.

Dr. L :

You can always ask to be called after every session and filled in on her progress. That might be comforting for you.

Dr. L :

I get the not jumping for joy part...any time our children suffer ... we suffer 100 times more. And because you are not there...it makes it even worse.

Dr. L :

I agree that having her seen is the best step you can take right now.

Dr. L :

Is there anything else I can help you with this evening?

Customer:

That will be all thanks so much!!

Dr. L :

You are very welcome.

Dr. L :

Take care

Dr. L :

Good night.

Customer:

Good night

Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience: Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist