TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Ive started to date someone even though Im almost positive

I've started to date someone even though I'm almost positive it isn't going to work out. Is this a bad idea?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the request.

If you start off the relationship certain that it will not work out, that may encourage to look for things that are wrong with the relationship to support your feelings. And in that way, starting a relationship being certain that it won't work will make it not work. For example, the first time you have an argument you will see it as another reason why the relationship won't work instead of looking at it as something you need to work out in order to stay together.

If you can identify why you feel the relationship might not work you might be able to address those issues now. However, if it is abusive behavior, that is always a good reason to end the relationship right away.

I hope this has helped you,