TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have been told that I will not survive cirrhosis of my

I have been told that I will not survive cirrhosis of my 2009 we lost our house due to a fire, we had no ins, so moved from the south to the north as my husbands family said that there son rents out, so we did I had to leave my family & friends I have been here 2yrs now have not met anyone, only go out once a week shopping,my husband is surpposed to be looking after me but he go's to the pub most of the day. I gave up drinking when I found out I was ill then my youngest son died in Nov so I hit the drink for 5 days, had a bleed out so back to hospital I have now given up for 4mths now, but I feel so alone and depressed I just want to give up
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

I am sorry for the loss of your son. Losing someone can often trigger deep depression and grief. And you have suffered many losses with your health, your son and your home. Plus you are facing your own illness on your own, without support. The overwhelming amount of loss you are facing can make you feel there is no way to cope and no answers to help you feel better.

Depression is characterized by feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness, lack of energy or motivation, thoughts of death and/or suicide and trouble concentrating. It is common to feel there is no hope and no way out.

If you have not tried therapy, you might want to at this point. Therapy is often one of the best ways to feel better. Medications are helpful to deal with the symptoms of depression but they do not get rid of them permanently. Therapy can do that for you. To have a better chance at finding a good therapist, ask your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at

You may also want to try medications. They are helpful to ease the symptoms but they do vary in their effectiveness so you may need to try a few different ones to see what works for you. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication. But they can help you deal with the symptoms until therapy helps you.

Motivation is a very difficult symptom of depression. It often keeps people from helping themselves and reaching out to others. But support and self help are vital in helping you overcome depression. Consider support groups, either on line or in person. People who are experiencing the same symptoms as you are can offer invaluable support, ideas and companionship to help you feel better. Also, working on your depression at home can supplement your therapy or other treatment. Here are resources to help you get started:

Also, learn more about grief. You have suffered many losses. The more you can understand grief and how to help yourself through it, the better you will be able to manage. Also, seek as much support as possible to help you:

Once you are able to reach out, you will start to feel better. Let others support you and offer help. You do not have to do this alone.

I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Kate

You're welcome! You have really been through a lot and deserve support and help with all of this. It can be hard reaching out, but once you do, you will find others who can help. Hang in there.