How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question

TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5798
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is bipolar and presently having a manic episode. He

This answer was rated:

My son is bipolar and presently having a manic episode. He refuses to call his psychiatrist. He thinks he knows everything and he is in charge of himself. Will this eventually subside without Expert help? He has been hospitalized before and fears going back to the hospital. What will happen if I or he do nothing?

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.
Manic episodes can last sometimes up to several months. It depends on the type of Bipolar your son has and his individual condition.
It is very common for someone with Bipolar to refuse treatment. Many will feel more stable with treatment then decide that they are recovered and stop treatment. They will experience a return of symptoms but still refuse to seek help again.
Keep watch of your son. If he should show any signs of being a danger to himself (putting himself in dangerous situations for example) or a danger to others, contact your local ER to file a 302 which is a legal involuntary commitment. You can also contact the police who are also familiar with 302 commitments.
Other than the chance your son might act out, most likely nothing will happen if your son goes without treatment. His behavior might be erratic or he might be difficult to cope with but besides showing symptoms of mania most likely he will come out the mania and be fine.
Here is a resource for more information:
I hope this has helped you,
May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Can I help you any further?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it usual for him to talk to himself? He often sounds like he's having an argument with someone. Other times he laughs histerically. Is this normal for a manic state and will it continue for the weeks or months the episode can last?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also, he is not sleeping and his doctor won't prescribe medication for this without seeing him and he refuses to see her. Is there something I can get over the counter to help him sleep? He's presently taking lithium and amlodipine besylate for blood pressure.
Yes, people with mania can have symptoms like you are describing. He probably feels very high and the energy is creating the behavior. He is on a high right now and this may be the way he manifests what he feels.
How long this last depends on the type of Bipolar your son has and how his symptoms manifest. Each person is different in how their symptoms show themselves.
If at any point he seems out of control or likely to hurt himself in any way, then call the local ER. You can also call his psychiatrist to see if he has any recommendations regarding local resources. You can also get recommendations for over the counter medications for your son from the psychiatrist. I don't want to recommended something that might hurt him since I don't know your son's physical and mental health history.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do I have to feel like I need to stay with him? I work at nights and not sure if I should leave him by himself. I took his car keys so he won't be driving. Should I be concerned about leaving him?
You can leave him as long as he doesn't show any signs of hurting himself or others. You might be able to have someone check on him or call him yourself if you are able. You have done all you can to keep him safe and at this point, there is little you can do besides trying to hospitalize him.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you think if I call the hospital and talk to the doctor who treated him before that he would prescribe the medication they gave him for sleep before?
You could try that. It depends on if he has seen your son lately and if he will call the medication in. Doctors are not to eager to prescribe unless they see their patient face to face to be sure their physical health is ok and nothing has changed. But it is worth a try. The doctor could also recommend an over the counter medication if he won't prescribe.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. You have been helpful. I just don't understand this disease and feel helpless. I will say one thing and this is no way a reflection on your profession but the fact that a doctor cannot talk to a mother, wife or child about a patient is ridiculous. I'm told the patient has to do this or that and the patient is in no way capable of making a rational decision.
I understand what you are saying. It was an advocacy law that is meant to protect patients but it does make it hard for someone like you who is only trying to help your own son. If your son would sign a release that would help but sometimes it's very hard to get someone who is mentally ill to cooporate like that.
It might help a lot to join some on line support groups or even see a therapist yourself to help you cope. Being a caregiver is very stressful.
Please don't forget to rate my service as OK or higher so I am credited for my answer. Thank you very much!
TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Here is a resource that provides support to families of people with mental illness:
And thank you for the positive rating! I appreciate it.
Take care,

Related Mental Health Questions