Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Citalopram.

Hi I have been taking 40mg Citalopram for four months now but i am still suffering from depression.  I am not able to function properly and I feel like want to go to bed and stay there.  I feel like there is no point to living.  I think the tablets were working to a certain extent but that does not seem to be the case now.  I am not sure what to do. Thanks for your help.

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

I am sorry to hear about your depression.
This is a treatable illness and if you are not responding to this medication and dosage -after 4 months, you need to be in touch with your Doctor to have this re-evaluated and perhaps switch to another medication.

Ideally, you should have your medications managed by a Psychiatrist who is most effective at matching the proper antidepressant therapy. Additionally, it is proven that getting help i.e. therapy (cognitive behavioral type) reduces depressive symptoms and is a great adjuct to medication alone.

I am attaching a link that addressed Depression in Women and the treatment options that I trust will help you and your Doctor get you back on track. You need not have to suffer like this.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/depression_women.htm

Should you have additional questions for me- feel free to ask, I am happy to help.

Kindest regards,

Bill