TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have a son with ADHD OKMH0313503

I have a son with ADHD, some O.D.D, and teenage-itis. Despite loving our son and trying we have not been very successful in getting him to mind, show respect, he doesn't seem to understand appropriate emotions at times. I am looking for suggestions on reading material on reclaiming my family, getting control of his behavior and turning out a responsible productive member of society. He has some learning disabilities as well. He is almost 15 and I feel like time is lipping away to make a difference. Can you recommend anything or resources.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It can be difficult to cope with a teenager without a diagnosis. But when you add ADHD and ODD, you are struggling just to maintain a normal life for your child.

With the combination of diagnoses your son has, it can be very difficult to tell what is just normal teen acting out and what behavior is being caused by the ADHD and ODD. Here are some resource that can help: rapy-for-oppositional-and-defiant-disorder.html

Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach by Howard Glasser and Jennifer Easley

Stop Negotiating With Your Teen: Strategies for Parenting Your Angry, Manipulative, Moody, or Depressed Adolescent... by Janet Sasson Edgette

Support for you-

Along with support and other resources, you may want to consider therapy for you and/or the family. Coping with a child who struggles with a disorder can pull all the energy away from the family and you and onto the one child. There is no time for yourself and no time to do the things you need or want to do. You can end up with caregiver stress which sometimes leads to depression, anxiety, trouble sleeping and other symptoms. By focusing on yourself through therapy, you can regain some of your strength and be able to be there for your son.

I hope this has helped you,
Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate it.

Take care,