Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

wife age 51 has trigeminal neuropathic pain (tnp) began 4.5

wife age 51 has trigeminal neuropathic pain (tnp) began 4.5 years ago...we have not had sex in 12 years...she claims lack of sex caused it....please advise.

Hi! I'll be glad to be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how difficult this situation must be for you. Your wife has a painful and difficult condition and has placed the blame on something that involves you and the marriage. This is for sure hurtful to you.

There are a number of physiological causes for TNP that are identified. MS or tumors, for example, can lead to TNP. However, TNP occurs mostly in people who are "aging" and the cause is most often not able to be identified. It is easier to identify things that can bring it on once the person has TNP, to identify what are called triggers. But to identify the actual cause is very difficult.

Here is the Mayo Clinic entry for it. You'll have to scroll through a number of pages as it's rather long:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trigeminal-neuralgia/DS00446

It certainly sounds as though blaming it on the lack of sex in the marriage is a cry of anguish on your wife's part. And it sounds from what you write as though it is hurtful to you to have her blame this. There is no way to prove or disprove it. There is no evidence for such a claim, though. There has been no medical or psychological literature linking TNP to abstinence from

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX