Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

SHOULD VALLIUM BE PRESCRIBED for as long as 7 years?

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

The simple answer to your question is NO.

Valium IndicationsValium® is a prescription medicine commonly used for the treatment of anxiety. It is not intended for treating "everyday anxiety" and is recommended only for short-term use. The medication can also be used to relieve symptoms associated with alcohol withdrawal, treat muscle spasms due to cerebral palsy or other disorders, and stop seizures.(when used along with other seizure medications).

If someone has been taking Valium for 7 years ----over 30 years of experience in treating chemically dependent persons suggests that they are addicted and should be safely detoxed under medical management.

Detail on Valium is here:

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to ask.

Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating so that I receive Credit for my time in response to your question.

Kindest regards, Bill

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would. It require residential detoxing or since my son has started AA and also sees mental health counsellor he could be tapered of Vallium within 4o8weeks?

It is great that your son is in a 12 program, however, he will need the Valium Taper supervised my a Medical Doctor vs a counselor.

This can be accomplished on an outpatient basis and will take several weeks (8- 12 )
in most cases.

Should you have additional questions please ask before rating.
Otherwise, I wish you and your son the very best.

Kindest regards, Bill