TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have been cutting for years. I am currently being treated

I have been cutting for years. I am currently being treated for depression, anxiety & ptsd. I have occasionally had suicide thoughts. I tried popping a rubber band on my wrist, talking to a councelor, coloring and journaling. is there any hope for me?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Yes, there is hope for you. Changing a long term behavior can take a while and much commitment. It looks like you have tried many ways to stop cutting and so far, it has not worked. But there are other ways to help yourself.

The first step is to learn more about why you might cut yourself. Just by knowing the reasons, you can change your behavior. Usually, cutting begins as a way to let out pain you feel you have no other way to express. By knowing what caused you to start cutting and addressing it, you can basically cut off the root of what drives you to cut.

The next step is to work on changing your ways of coping. You sound like you have worked on some ideas already. It may help you to make a list of alternative options so when you do feel like cutting, you can turn to the list and find another choice.

Finally, if you feel your therapist did not help you or that you might want a second opinion about your situation, it can help to see another therapist. Sometimes it helps to get another perspective.

Here are some resources to help get you started:

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!