Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist
16045978

Good afternoon, I feel as if I might suffer from depression.

Good afternoon,

I feel as if I might suffer from depression. I am lately feeling more sad than usual and it is beginning to affect my day to day work. Additionally I feel as if I am extremely unmotivated to complete anything besides my job (supper, laundry, etc.).

Just wondering on where-to begin to determine if I am suffering from depression or a related illness.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question.

From what you've described, it sounds like it is certainly possible that you are suffering from depression. Even if that is not the case, if you are having a hard time figuring out why you are having these problems lately, it can still be beneficial to see a professional so that you can get to the bottom of this. I'd be happy to send you a link to an online depression test, and that may help to give you a better idea if it is depression. Would that be helpful to you?

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've googled searched a few depression tests and from what I've gathered most of these tests state I have "moderate" depression. Although this is somewhat helpful, I guess what I am looking to achieve from this website (first timer) is an expert opinion.
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
My experience with the depression tests is that they are fairly accurate, and if you've taken several of them and received similar results, then there is a good chance that you are dealing with some moderate depression. This is the one I normally give people to fill out. Of course these tests don't replace a formal diagnosis, however, the symptoms that you've described are all very commonly associated with depression, so it does seem reasonable to suspect that is the problem.

In terms of approaching it, there's a big difference in whether or not this depression has been caused by particular circumstances in your life, or if you can't figure out why you're feeling like this. Either way a professional can help, but especially in the case that you're having a hard time figuring out why you are feeling like this, meeting with a professional can be very valuable. Please let me know if there is any more information you are looking for or if there is anything else I can do to help.

Ryan
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience: Individual and Family Therapist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well my hope coming to this website is that I could potentially talk about these issues in-depth online perhaps before going to see a professional in person. Is this possible?
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I believe that I can help.

One of the most significant signs of depression is lack of motivation.

The habitually depressed person has a significant decrease in interest or pleasure in most activities that they either perceive themselves, or that others perceive.

Their mood, of course is low or depressed, and there may be a notable increase or decrease in their appetite (with a corresponding weight loss or gain or around 5%).

Their sleeping habits also change, either sleeping too much or too little.

No matter if they sleep a great deal, a depressed person will have less energy and feel fatigued or tired nearly every day,

The depressed person has trouble thinking or concentrating, and/or may become very indecisive.

Their observable (to others) level of activity (psychomotor activity) is either speeded up or slowed down on a regular (nearly daily) basis.

The depressed person may feel inappropriately (without cause) guilty, or feel worthless or have low self-esteem. These feelings can be exaggerated to the point in which they may be even delusional.

Depressed people have repeated thoughts about death or dying (not fear of death), or may be thinking about suicide, may have made a plan, or may even have attempted it sometime.

It these symptoms are not caused by bereavement, a medical condition, the use of prescription or other drugs, and if they cause important stress levels that impair their work, personal, school, or social functions, then they have depression that should be treated either with psychotherapy (talk therapy) or medication, or a combination of the two.

The first, best approach is removing stressors or learning to cope with them.

I have given you a thorough overview of the diagnostic criteria for depression, and I believe that you are very likely to fulfill these criteria.

I urge you to see a therapist who you can talk to before you let a doctor put you on antidepressants which often cause more harm than good,

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know and I shall be happy to serve you.

Warm regards,

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC