Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

hi i am a pathological liar. i have realized that i have been

hi i am a pathological liar. i have realized that i have been lying a while ago but i did not know that it had a name and it was that common. yesterday i learned its name and read about it some and i told some of my friends about it. tomorrow i will go to psychotherapy with my friend but i don't know what to do i am freaking out do you have any suggestions?
Thanks for your question.

Even though I can understand why you may be nervous about tomorrow, it sounds like you have done the right thing by admitting that you have this problem with lying. By recognizing this problem, talking about it, and taking some steps to get help with it, it is going to allow you to figure out what exactly is behind this problem and how to stop. Psychotherapy can sound intimidating, but the idea is to find a therapist that you are comfortable talking to so that it isn't as scary or difficult to go back the second time. You shouldn't have to worry about having to do or say anything tomorrow that you're not comfortable with, and the therapist should know what questions to ask you to help you start working on this.

Bringing a friend along for support was a great idea. You will make it through this, and you've already done the hardest part by admitting that this is a problem and reaching out for help. Right now, anything you can do to relax will help you to get through the next 24 hours. By the time you are finished with your therapy session tomorrow you may feel a lot better, and it should continue to get easier from that point on. I definitely wish you the best with all of this, and if there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i had psychotherapy before and i even lied to my therapist so i am hoping to do better this time. I would like to know is there any self help books or CDs or that kind of things that can help that you know about. I looked online a few but i dont want to buy and read something can be bad for my situation.

Typically the best thing for a situation like this is cognitive behavior therapy, which your therapist should likely be able to help you out with. Honestly is extremely important in therapy, and that communication is what will help you to get through this problem. If it helps to tell your friend to make sure to help and keep you honest, that may be a little more motivation. It certainly sounds like you are ready to start solving this, so I suspect that this time will go better than the last.

There a lot of people out there who would recommend hypnosis, but you may want to stay away from that since it is not a proven method of resolving problems like this. I respect that you are willing to do extra work outside of therapy, and if you would like to send me a link to some of the resources that you were looking into, I'd be happy to let you know whether I believe it would be helpful or not. However, it may also help to wait until tomorrow and ask your therapist. They may have particular material that they are comfortable working with, so it may help to get started with what they recommend so that you can talk about it together.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am thinking about hypnosis and i will tell to my therapist but i just wanted to get a second opinion, thanks. i found those but i am not sure i can trust them. these what i found

maybe you know about owner of these by name or something.

I would be cautious of doing anything with hypnosis, at least until meeting with your therapist. I'm not familiar with the Debbie Williams link, but I would be very hesitant to invest in any type of self hypnosis, especially when there have not been studies that prove regular hypnosis to be effective.

The book seems to have mixed reviews, but I would be more inclined to recommend that because it sounds like a real account of someone struggling with problems similar to what you've described. If I had to pick one of the two resources that you sent me I would choose the book. You may walk out of your therapist's office tomorrow with additional reading material or ideas for other resources as well, and don't hesitate to ask if they don't offer you any prior to leaving. Good luck tomorrow and hang in there,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for your help