Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

hello I have been reading about evasive behaviour and psychopathy.

hello I have been reading about evasive behaviour and psychopathy. My partner displays some of these traits and I am not sure what treatment would be helpful if any. He comes across as very plausible with many people and they think he is lovely yet I have seen his nasty and cruel side. So I am in a place of wondering if he undertakes treatment if it could be helpful or if it is better for me to end the relationship.

so the question is can a person with a character disorder who lies and is evasive benefit from treatment if they want to follow that path.
Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

I am sorry to hear about this......

If your partner has a personality of character disorder- they can be very difficult to treat as the person lacks the capacity for insight and thus is not in touch with how the feel or how their behavior effects others. They lack a conscience and if this is absent, the likelihood for lasting change is poor.

I am attaching a link that has detail on the most common Types of Personality Disorders and the behavioral manifestations. Educating yourself will help you make a decision on whether or not to work on this relationship or move forward.

Usually, when someone asks the question, they already know the answer. Meaning you may know in your head that know you gut that this is not working but you need validation. Trust your gut.

Here is the link and also a short quiz that measures whether someone has a psychopathic personality style :

Answer the following quiz as if you were answering for your partner or how you see your partner and you will get an immediate result as to whether traits are present and to what degree:

Feel free to respond if you have further questions, I am happy to help.

Kindest regards, Bill

Please leave Positive Rating so that I Receive Credit for my time.

Thank you.