Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

Is there any link with Sadistic personality disorders and Aspergers

Is there any link with Sadistic personality disorders and Aspergers Syndrome?

Thanks for your question.

There is no link between Sadistic personalities and people who have been diagnosed with Aspergers. People with Aspergers tend to have problems interacting with people and interpreting normal social cues. Someone who is sadistic would have characteristics of being very mean spirited, manipulative, and would treat people in a very degrading way. While it is certainly possible for someone to have Aspergers and be Sadistic, there is no link between the two that would indicate that a person affected with one of these problems would be more likely to have the other as well.

I hope I've been able to answer your question, and if there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What about a 4-5yr olds with aspergers who demonstrate aggressive behavior and typically can't keep from hurting other siblings but not other children?

It is certainly possible that a child can have these two issues coexisting. However there is not a link between the two problems, so being sadistic would not make them more likely to have aspergers, and having aspergers would not making them any more likely to have a sadistic personality.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think this aggressive behavior merits further evaluation by a mental health expert? Furthermore, do you know if there is a correlation with this behavior and physically disciplining a child (spanking)?

Yes, I would say that if this child cannot keep from hurting their siblings it would certainly merit further evaluation by a mental health expert. There can be a correlation between children who have been physically abused and aggressive/sadistic behavior. Of course there is a difference between being abused and being spanked, and typically spanking alone would not produce this type of behavior unless it was done excessively or with excessive force. Either way, if this child has only been diagnosed with Aspergers and is showing all of these aggressive traits it would be beneficial to have them evaluated for any additional problems that may be contributing to this behavior.