Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

MY four year old son who has never been afraid of anything,

MY four year old son who has never been afraid of anything, suddenly hasall these fears. He will not go into another room without someone accompanying him for any reason. We've tried reasoning with him and any thing else we can do. He get so annxious that he will throw up, he screams with his stomach and his throat starts to tighten up. I am at a lose as what to do. He recently broke his leg and when they removed the cast it had healed nicely.  He had such hysterics though and wouldn't put any weight on it that they decided to put the cast back on it. Surly they can't keep the cast on indefinetly.

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

I am sorry to hear about your son and his acute fear reaction.

Often children's fears grow out of experiences which they cannot understand and this may very well be the fracture of his leg and subsequent feelings that he has not been able to express.

Children at this age are not able to think and express themselves as adults do and thus internalize fear reactions and they often later come out later.

My first suggestion would be that you talk to his doctor about this. I would then consider the possibility of having him see a child psychologist or play therapist to help get to the bottom of this.

These are typically problems that will resolve as long as there is rapid intervention so getting this evaluated as soon as possible is crucial.

The following link will help you understand and deal with this:

http://www.aftertheinjury.org/how-deal-withnew-fears-and-worries

If you have additional questions, please ask- I am happy to help.

Kindest regard,

Bill

I appreciate your positive rating so that I receive credit for my time

Thank you