Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

My son has ADD- SCT and he seems to be OKMH34211

Customer Question

My son has ADD- SCT and he seems to be not handling it well. He was in the second half of his freshman year in college and is going on medical leave. He can’t swallow any pills we have tried and he just can’t. He was put on a stimulant patch and it seemed to help a little but developed a rash and had to stop. His psychiatrist proscribed and a dissolving tab (Xanax) for the anxiety, a liquid stimulant to replace the patches as well as Prozac for the depression. I am concerned about the Prozac because of the possibility of long term sexual side effects which I have read about on the internet (Post SSRI sexual Dysfunction) but both his psychiatrist and therapist are making saying that it should not be a concern. Well he is 19 years old and I don’t want him to have a problem in that department if there is something else we can do. The therapist suggested a full day intensive outpatient Psychiatric treatment program. We went there and while they want him to enroll. I am concerned because it seems to have large percentage of patients with substance abuse, anxiety and depression, while a small percent of patients with ADHD. Also that use exclusively group therapy and have one session a day using DBT and not CBT, I am assuming that is because DBT is better for the general population and works better in groups. But will it help my son? I have also been doing research and discovered a treatment for anxiety and depression call Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation, have you had anything about its effectiveness.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

I am concerned about the Prozac because of the possibility of long term sexual side effects which I have read about on the internet (Post SSRI sexual Dysfunction) - I do agree with you that Prozac can cause sexual side effects but this is not seen in 100 % of cases and in fact many patients do not experience them at all. Also, even if they do appear, these side effects are reversible and can be controlled either by reducing the dose, adding another medicine or stopping Prozac.

Dr Vikas :

Prozac is a good medicine for controlling depressive symptoms as such.

Dr Vikas :

Also that use exclusively group therapy and have one session a day using DBT and not CBT, I am assuming that is because DBT is better for the general population and works better in groups. But will it help my son? - DBT can be useful in his case. A combination of psychotherapy along with medicines is more beneficial in comparison to medicine alone in my view.

Dr Vikas :

I have also been doing research and discovered a treatment for anxiety and depression call Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation, have you had anything about its effectiveness. - Unfortunately it is not an established mode of treatment so not possible to comment up on its effectiveness.

Dr Vikas :

If you think that CBT is more useful than your son can try free online CBT by himself using the following website

Dr Vikas :

MoodGYM

Dr Vikas :

I hope this helps.

Dr Vikas :

If you have any other query please feel free to ask further.

Dr Vikas :

Kind regards

Dr Vikas :

Vikas

bschweber :

Hard him try mood gym and he liked it..