Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Hello, for around 2-3 years I was diagnosed OKMH34211

Hello, for around 2-3 years I was diagnosed with Bipolar. Then I mentioned a couple of new symptoms and my doctor said sometimes ADHD and Bipolar are often misdiagnosed because of their characteristics. I was on lamictial which was a wonder drug for me. The doctor took me off lamitial and gave me adderall and then said I was AdHD. The adderall does help me stay more focused and gives me energy. I know I have severe depressive tendencies. Sometimes I have extreme highs, even without the adderral, and do things that aren't rational. I personally feel like I have both bipolar and adhd. Is it possible that I have both? And the bipolar type based on my reading seems like a mixed type. yesterday I reached a serious low but today I have bounced back. Any suggestions?

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

I am happy to help you with this.

Having worked with people with BiPolar and ADHD for many years, I can tell you that it is 100 percent true that these disorders can and do co-occur together.

This is why it is important that you have a Doctor (hopefully a Psychiatrist) that is managing your medication as it takes specific expertise to manage medications with these co-existing disorders.

More detail on this can be found here:

http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/news/20030711/adult-adhd-bipolar-disorder-may-overlap

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/2511.html

If you feel that your medication is not providing stabilization you need to see someone that can help you with the proper med or combination.

Kindest regards,
Bill

Please leave Positive Rating So that I may receive Credit for My Time

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bill,

Thank you for your explanation. I also needed to hear it's okay to see another professional anytime a person's questions and needs are not being met. I would love to have future questions in this subject area addressed by you. Thank you and have a lovely weekend.

Lynn-
Anytime you feel you are not getting the proper treatment or feel that you are being understood, one should feel more comfortable to see a second or third opinion.
This is a standard of care that should be respected by all experts.
I am happy to help you in this format anytime you have questions or concerns or need another perspective. However, I cannot provide ongoing therapy.
Simply preface each new question with FOR BILL LCSW ONLY and I will get it directly.
Kindest regards, Bill
I appreciate your Positive Rating so that I receive Credit for my time.
Thank you