Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

My 19 year old son has social phobia. He never leaves the house,

Customer Question

My 19 year old son has social phobia. He never leaves the house, has no friends, does not drive. He does attend college but he rides to school with his older brother. How concerned should I be?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

I am sorry to learn about your son's condition and i empathize with you.

Well you see social phobia is a stubborn anxiety disorder which can be lead to decompensation , in other words functional impairment in the form of impairment in inter-personal, social and professional domains of life thereby snatching away one's quality of life and compelling the person to become dependent on others for taking care of routine trivial chores and duties. It seems like your son too has started to show this form of decompensated behavior albeit it appears to be an early stage , so yes it is a matter of concern for you as your son stands at risk of compromising his quality of life completely if this vicious cycle of social phobia is not broken as soon as possible.

So i reckon that you consult a clinical psychologist and get him started on CBT , that is Cognitive Behavior Therapy ( CBT) , which is a special counseling technique used effectively to teach to such a person with social phobia some core coping skills and strategies to overcome social phobia and begin to lead a normal life.

Along with this you shall also get him started on an anti depressant drug like lexapro ( escitalopram ) at dose of 10-20 mg / day or Zoloft ( sertarline ) at dose of 50-100 mg / day , any one of these two drugs to be prescribed from your family physician or if he is hesitant in doing so then seek referral for a psychiatrist who will be the best person to prescribe it. You see these anti depressants form the first line drugs to manage social phobia and they will act by allaying his anxiety and dread associated with social /public exposure and interaction and together with CBT , it shall help him to overcome this condition.

You see it is always better to get hold of this condition at a young age because if it persists for too long then it may become very difficult to treat owing to further strengthening of it's stubborn nature.

So kindly do the needful.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

If there is any further assistance needed please feel free to ask using the reply button.

Regards..