Ask a Psychiatrist and Get Answers to Mental Health Questions ASAP
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
I believe that I can help you.
I would like to know what characteristics you think you have of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD).
I believe that you are lying because of you low self-esteem.
Compulsive lying is frequent outcome of low self-esteem and a need to get attention. The lying can become habitual (a habit you do unthinkingly and without realizing it.
This is called habitual lying.
This behavior typically alienates friends and those who love you. It doesn't give attention but instead pushing those special people away. With therapy this compulsion to lie can be stopped and the relationships can be saved.
These are the symptoms for BPD - from the DSM-IV official psychiatric diagnostic manual.
BPD – DSM-IV
1. Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.
2. A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterised by alternation between extremes of idealization and devaluation.
3. Identity disturbance - markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.
4. Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging, e.g. spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving or binge-eating.
5. Recurrent suicidal behaviour, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behaviour.
6. Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood, e.g. intense episodic dysphoria, irritability or anxiety, which usually lasts for between a few hours and several days.
7. Chronic feelings of emptiness
8. Inappropriate, intense anger, or difficulty controlling anger, e.g. frequent displays of temper, constant anger or recurrent physical fights.
9. Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms.
Anyone with six or more of the above traits and symptoms may be diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. However, the traits must be long-standing (pervasive), and there must be no better explanation for them, e.g. physical illness, a different mental illness or substance misuse.
You have started to type but then left. I will leave this chat open and you can return to it. I have given you a lot of good professional advice and will reply to you again.
I am still here. Has this been helpful to you?
I see that you have been typing on several occasions during this chat but have not sent me anything.
Please respond to me. I would like to know what you think about your BPD and what you think about what I have told you.
I am hoping to get a response.
Why are you so afraid?
You CAN be helped.
You may be sending me messages and I cannot read them.
If you are on a WIndows 8 computer is will not work, apparently. It is too new of a system.
I see you now.
You don't need a treatment center. All you need is a good therapist.
Where do you live?
I am trying to find you somebody. Please answer me if you really want help.
If you have given up then I cannot help you.
Pull yourself together and answer me.
I will save the chat and you can get back to me later if you want me to help you. I am willing to take the time to help, but not to take the time to sit here staring at a blank screen.
Get back to me if and when you can and I will help youl
Are you using windows 8?
Yes I got that part. Did you get the part about be asking for your city and state?
Can you say what it is, city and state?
I am going to send you a list of people who can help you.
You cannot give it to me, The JA computer changes it to [email protected]
I will give you some therapists to see.
and one more, that I think may be a good one for you.
I have looked through the qualifications of many Baltimore area therapists and these are the best for you in my estimation.
You CAN change, and you can save your relationship.
After you get started you might even want to bring your fiance to a session so that HE can see that you are learning to change.
This IS a learning process.
Is there any other way that I can help you?
Has this been helpful?
I will leave the chat and change to Q & A mode. You will be able to read better and then you can respond to me or rate me.
I shall keep you in my prayers.
Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC