Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Dangerous EmployeeI OKMH33211 Post

Customer Question

Dangerous Employee I have a salesperson who has been performing poorly and is now very hostile and bent on destruction of the company and me personally. counseling has only worsened her performance. I have epli insurance but I must follow all recommendations to be covered, insisting on additional counseling. My concerns 1. An attorney told her she has no case without termination and suggested whistle blowing to gain additional settlement. 2. self righteous and contacting several agencies for maximum disruption. 3. Fixated wants to cause maximum pain for the company and wants my "personal destruction" I am concerned for my personal safety. 4. Hostile to everyone in the office, believes she is the only good employee (arrives late or not at all), refuses to sell "for a company she does not believe in". 5. Thousands in unauthorized charges on corporate credit card despite company's difficult circumstances. requests for receipts by payables manager result in unpleasant scenes. Attempts at Reasoning makes her agitated. Manager admitted she is afraid of her. 6. No longer speaks to me. Tells others I am ignoring her and cheating her of a commission (not due until late April). 7. As her employer I cannot bring my concerns about her behavior to her family. Steps considered 1. Disallow commissions on certain projects not earned, our agreement allows my discretion. 2. Insist she remain at home with pay for 3 days to submit receipts. 3. Move her base to our outpost office to protect other employees 4. Limit to primary job description with strict daily accountability. 5. Use of company vehicle But cancel the credit card. Reimbursements with receipts and pre approved. 6. Weekly career counseling, termination could jeopardize epli. She seems fixated on destruction not just a settlement. I am fine with her thinking "she won" but I'm afraid this would further embolden her rather than time to gain insight. How do I deescalate?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

She will not gain insight as she may have delusional and obsessive thinking.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If she has caused any criminal damage go after her with the full force of the law.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Get an order of protection against her because she has made threats. They will have to take the threats that you report seriously, and an order of protection would prohibit her from the premises.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Tie her up in court. Her negative deeds and criminal and civil and she can be forced to stop.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you believe that you can de-escalate by paying her off in return for an agreement that she will no longer harass you, your employees, your customers, or your suppliers an stay off you premise a make no further contact, then create such a document.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

However, if you are dealing with a psychotic person with paranoid delusions then you must protect yourself to the full limit of the law, under court order.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

When you are being attacked by a mad dog, you can only stop it with force.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Please get back to me if you would like to follow up and I shall do my best to help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I met with the Professional HR Representative today that is assigned to our company through the payroll company. I am pleased to report that they have taken the threats seriously and have found cause for termination with regards XXXXX XXXXX unauthorized charges because building a case of insubordination will take too long to affectively protect me.

I am pleased that you agree that she is mentally ill. I read the classic signs of a manic bi-polar episode recently and she many of the language and characteristics. Gradiosity, spending sprees, I know from an earlier conversation that she has a gambling addiction, self righteousness, extreme antagonism with other employees as well as me personally. Extreme paranoia insisting that I am deliberately losing business to deny her a commission (which is minimal at best). Definately on the lines of how dare you try to stop me, you are nothing, I will destroy you.

I have her working from home for the next three days to give the HR Professionals the headstart they need to finalize her termination. She seems bent on destruction, including calling the IRS despite the fact that she has not filed her taxes for 8 years.

I am not anwering her calls and responding only in writing via email. And keeping it short at that.

I will absolutely move forward on the legal avenues to stop to her actions which included contacting my attorney on a construction claim i have against a client in order to convince her to drop me as a client. As well as attempt to obtain a restraining order, even though it may be tough to convince the police that "I will destroy you" is a threat to my safety, I do feel in jeopardy and they take workplace violence very seriously these days.

My husband says that she will spiral quickly at this point and will hopefully be baker acted by friends and family soon, because she cannot stop her rantings. Do you agree with me that i have no right to speak with them?

Should she somehow track me down and confront me in person, what soothing techniques do you suggest until I can get away?

Thank you for your understanding of how difficult this is for me.

Things seem to be moving in a positive direction for you. If you have any indication that her threats to destroy you had physical intent, then let the police know and they will be obliged to take legal action to protect you.

I agree with you that you best not speak to her family and friends. If you do then it will backfire on you and they will pull together to defend her. Let her dig her own pit. If her family contacts you just tell them how sorry you feel for her and that you know how much she must be suffering.

You will then be the sympathetic figure.

If she confronts you then defuse her with eye contact, smiles, calm and gentle fearlessness, and a pleasant tone of voice and demeanor.

If she attacks you physically, you should be prepared to overwhelm her if you cannot run and have no one to back you up.

The other option, to be attacked and hurt is not a good one.

Chances are it will never come to this.

She is out of control and it seems that everyone around her is waking up to the reality of her condition.

You will be fine. Just continue to carry on and you will succeed.

Warm regards,

Elliott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so very much. I feel very prepared for what I hope will never come to pass.

Mental illness is difficult under any circumstances. As an employer, your hands are tied against any suggestion that they seek immediate medical attention and insist on psychological clearance before being allowed back to work. Then again a manic, paranoid, delusional person does not have the insight to know they need help. Let us hope her family sees the behavior for what it is instead of buying into her claims of wrongdoing. I can only hope she does not cause too much havoc to my business in the interim while I file my claims to slow her down.

I wish you a good night.

You are very welcome. I shall keep you in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Elliott

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Update on Dangerous Employee The employee was terminated for cause on Friday. Upon reviewing her company credit card there were thousands in undocumented and personal charges. Requests by the Accounts Payable Supervisor for receipts apparently always resulted in a hostile response. She called our attorney on Friday, wanting to take back all of her threats and have things go back to the way they were so that she and just wanted to keep her job. We chose to proceed with termination and will be filing charges for misappropriation so that we can protect ourselves against any further damage by this former employee. I will keep all of your advise about how to defuse the situation should she contront me in person. Any additional suggestions?

Dear friend,

I am so glad that you persevered and that she finally caved in.

She will play on your sympathy. If she confronts you, defuse her with sympathetic words and gentle tones. Refer her to higher ups. Don't gloat (at least not on the outside). Don't let her manipulate you or respond in any but the most gentle way. You will be like Teflon and she will move on.

Don't give her an edge in any way and she will go away quietly.

I shall keep you in my prayers;

Warm regards,

Elliott