TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have had intrussive thoughts for 28 years off and on. Do

I have had intrussive thoughts for 28 years off and on. Do people that suffer from them ever act on them? I know I suffer from anxiety and I'm currently seeing a therapist and she didn't seem to worried about it because I did not present any symptoms of psychosis. She thinks it is ocd thoughts without the compulsions.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Intrusive thoughts are usually just that, thoughts. It is extremely rare for someone to act on an intrusive thought. Usually there is something else much more serious going on with the person like anti social personality disorder that adds to the possibility they would act out. And OCD is a much more common reason for intrusive thoughts than a more serious mental illness like anti social disorder. Intrusive thoughts are what cause the anxiety which in turn creates a fear of the intrusive thoughts and causes them to occur, much like a loop. And after 28 years of having these thoughts, the likelihood you would act on them is virtually none.

I would have to agree with your therapist, especially if she shows no concern at all that you will act on these thoughts. Therapists are trained to know the different between someone who might act on their thoughts and someone who would not. And just the fact that you are concerned about acting on your thoughts shows that you will not act on them. People that do act on their intrusive thoughts are not concerned with the thoughts they have what the results might be if they do act out. They just do it. So by being concerned, you have just showed that you are even more unlikely to act out in any way.

I hope this has helped you,
These resources may help you as well:

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Katie, I have been labeling them as ocd intrussive thoughts and the anxiety goes down then I start to worry I'm not worrying enough, does this make sense
Yes it does. And it is common to have the kinds of thoughts you are having. Hopefully, your therapist is working with you to reduce your thoughts and therefore reduce your anxiety. The links I gave you help to describe some of the things you can do at home to help yourself as well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Katie, I don't have any compulsive behavior besides the worrying is it still considered ocd
Yes, it is. OCD can be just obsessions or just compulsions or some of both.