Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

My boyfriends son is age 22 and has aspergers. He suddenly

My boyfriend's son is age 22 and has aspergers. He suddenly turned round last year and said he wants to be a woman, having never previously mentioned this ever. My boyfirend is very scared that this is just another of his fads but that he will go ahead with hormone treatment and the sex change operation and then realise he has made a terrible mistake. what can we do?
Dear friend,

This young man feels that he will be better accepted as a woman, partly due to his social anxiety from Asperger's and partly because he has let this idea take hold of him.

Many men who become women through hormone therapy and surgery one day realize to their utter horror, the mutilation they have done to themselves.

There are some people who will tell him, and tell your boyfriend that he really should have been a woman and that he is just correcting nature's or God's mistake.

The best way to try to deter him is:

1) He must not be enabled with funds to do this

2) Presenting some horror stories about the utter regrets of men who have done this to themselves. Here are some links:

If you cannot deter him with all of this, and you can find no legal recourse to prevent him because of his Asperger's ( and you probably cannot, but it is worth a try), then give him all the support that you can.

I shall keep you all in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much. I will try what you have suggested and see what happens!