How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dr. G. Your Own Question

Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1492
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Adult son lives with me but has regressed back to achohol and

This answer was rated:

Adult son lives with me but has regressed back to achohol and verbal abuse and I want him to leave my house. What should I do? He needs help but has been unemployed and withdrawn from society. He has gone through aa, was on pills for BiPolar, and
I have been enabling him too much. How do I get him out of my house and into
some sort of therapy and just let him find his own way.
I think it is reasonable to tell him that in order to live in your house then he needs to enroll in a 28 day inpatient facility for substance use. He is on a downward spiral and is totally taking advantage of living with you. If he doesn't comply then you can have him leave with no regrets. Unfortunately, your situation is way too common these days. For the addict to get help, they usually have to hit rock bottom. That means no income, family and friends distance themselves from him, no place to live, etc. I see you admit to enabling him. That is good that you recognize that. Now it is time to stop. Sit down with him and let him know that for his own good he needs to leave the house and not come back until he sobers up and goes into treatment. Until then, wish him the best of luck and tell him that you love him. That's it. The decision is up to him after that.
Dr. G. and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions