Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.
15682972

Adult son lives with me but has regressed back to achohol and

Adult son lives with me but has regressed back to achohol and verbal abuse and I want him to leave my house. What should I do? He needs help but has been unemployed and withdrawn from society. He has gone through aa, was on pills for BiPolar, and
I have been enabling him too much. How do I get him out of my house and into
some sort of therapy and just let him find his own way.
I think it is reasonable to tell him that in order to live in your house then he needs to enroll in a 28 day inpatient facility for substance use. He is on a downward spiral and is totally taking advantage of living with you. If he doesn't comply then you can have him leave with no regrets. Unfortunately, your situation is way too common these days. For the addict to get help, they usually have to hit rock bottom. That means no income, family and friends distance themselves from him, no place to live, etc. I see you admit to enabling him. That is good that you recognize that. Now it is time to stop. Sit down with him and let him know that for his own good he needs to leave the house and not come back until he sobers up and goes into treatment. Until then, wish him the best of luck and tell him that you love him. That's it. The decision is up to him after that.