Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

Hi my friend started taking Fluoxetine, 20 mg OKMH36211

Hi, My friend started taking Fluoxetine, 20 mg daily 2 weeks ago. He said this past week he had a few really rough days where he had suicidal thoughts. He also was drinking with the pills and I told him I don't think with Prozac you are suppose to drink, is that correct? Anyways, he hasn't drank in the last few days, but still feels he says like he's "out of his body" - last night he had a really bad headache. Are these symptoms normal? Obviously, he needs to go back to his doctor, but he got the medicine from a family doctor, not a psychiatrist so maybe it's not the correct treatment for him? Or does it take awhile for the body to adjust to the medicine and for it take take full effect?

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

I am sorry to hear about this.

This is a starting dosage for Prozac and the medication can take 4-6 weeks for it to have its full effect.
The symptoms are consistent with some of the side effects that can occur when starting the medication however, my sense is that the out of body experience may be more related to the stop of using alcohol.
If your friend has been drinking on a regular basis and stopped abruptly he could be experiencing alcohol withdrawal symptoms. (it is true that people taking Prozac) should refrain from excessive alcohol usage.

I think your friend should consult his doctor by phone - today and get feedback regarding what he should to to augment these negative symptoms.

More information on Prozac is here:

I trust this will help provide helpful information and direction.

I wish you and your friend the very best,

Kindest regards, Bill

I appreciate your Positive Rating so that I receive credit for my time.

Thank you