Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families
37122071

my 9yr old grandson only child not spoilt in any way is very

my 9yr old grandson only child not spoilt in any way is very possessive with his mum she had to have day surgery yesterday and he got so upset that he couldnt go to school it seems he has to know where she is all the time he's never been left as ahe has never had to go back to work,he is a very fit strong healthy boy with plenty of energy and amazing sense of humour what does this behavior mean.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be answering your question today.

I am sorry that your grandson is upset by this separation. What you describe is called Separation Anxiety. It usually occurs more so in children who are the nervous or anxious type. In addition to having difficulty separating, they worry excessively about the well-being of the parent.

The way to handle this is with plenty of reassurance. For instance, "you know mummy always comes back". "The doctors will take good care of her."

There is a book that you can read to him.
http://www.apa.org/pubs/magination/441A168.aspx

I hope this helps:
Here is more information:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002509/

As you can see, if this is not getting better as he gets older, he may need some therapy to learn to cope.