Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach

im 43yr old with bipolar depr. and i take prolixen OKMH32211

im 43yr old with bipolar depr. and i take prolixen 20mg, cogentin 2.5mg, lithium 1200mg, trazadone 200-300mg, prilosec 30mg prn. im writing to ask you about my memory loss the drs are saying are due to my depression. then why do i have trouble remembering what day it is if the meds are suppose to work. ive been told meds work cause ive been out of hospital for 6 yrs now.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry to know about these serious concerns you have related to memory loss. bipolar and medication. Since I am not a psychiatrist I cannot provide concrete information on medication and their interactions, and this is why I will opt out this question, expressing my gratefulness for your trust requesting my support.

Psychiatric drugs do present different effected depending on the way each organism responds to it, there are not two person's reacting the same way to the same drug, and these drugs do not have the power to cure any mental health problem , but to sometimes help with some symptoms, while they do always have side effects, many time even deepening mental health disorders or creating new ones; no way to know but by carefully assessing each individual case.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

As you just reported, your doctors are telling you that regardless of all those drugs, they associate your memory problem to your depression, what shows how they do not expect these drugs to help you in that area either, then my recommendation would be for you to focus on discussing with your psychiatrist-s about adjusting you r medication in order to better control bipolar symptoms, both manic and depressive episodes and to commit to psychotherapy, which is the ideal source of support for you to actually work on making concrete changes in yourself and life that would create and promote your mood, psychological processes, including memory, as well as functioning and relationships.