Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I have taken anti- depression medication on and off for the

I have taken anti- depression medication on and off for the last ten years. Usually Zoloft but find it makes me "slow" even on the lowest dose and lose total interest in sex. I am not "depressed" per say just always angry and quick to say nasty things... Is lexapro a better alternative to Zoloft for treating the "anger" side of depression .
Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well yes lexapro is not only faster acting than zoloft but it is more effective in managing irritable/anger aspect of depression as compared to zoloft.

However lexapro like other ssri anti depressants is known to produce sexual side effects like decreased sexual drive / libido / lack of interest in sex , so although your anger problem will be dealt with effectively but sexual side effects like decreased sex drive may prevail..

So an alternative to lexapro that can be used is a drug which shall not only uplift your mood and control irritability/ anger but also improve your sex drive / interest and that drug is Wellbutrin XL / Zyban ( generic name -- bupropion ) at dose of 150-300 mg / day taken as a single dose in morning. Please consider this drug also along with lexapro with your doctor and decide on any one of them after considering these points.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

If there is any further assistance needed please feel free to ask using the reply button.

Regards..