Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

What would be a rational thought to help ease the fear of being

Customer Question

What would be a rational thought to help ease the fear of being alone and becoming immobilized by a stroke, thus unable to get help while being aware of the situation?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

To deal with this fear, a two step approach might be better than just thoughts that calm you. While it is a great idea to address a fear with thought preparation, there is more you can do to calm yourself and feel better.

The first step is to take action. And the best way to get answers about a stroke is to ask your doctor. Tell your doctor about your fears and ask what your options are if you would have a stroke. How does someone who is alone and has a incapacitating illness get help? And if you feel you want additional information, contact a neurologist for additional input.

Another action you can take is to contact your local Area Agency on Aging. Ask about services you can have that help you be less alone. A senior companion to check on you every day and/or nursing assistance if you are eligible. You can also as for an alert necklace that you wear in case of emergency. All you need to do is press a button to summon help.

You can also ask relatives and/or neighbors to check on you each day. Even just a hello or short phone call can reassure you that if something does happen, you are not going to be alone for long. And if you are comfortable doing so, let others know of your fear. That will most likely motivate them a bit more to look after you to be sure all is well.

You can also consider moving to an older community where there is staff and neighbors who look out for one another.

To help you with your thoughts, it is helpful to reassure yourself that very few people are alone to the point that others don't notice not seeing them. So the chances are that you will be found quickly if something does occur. Also, realize that you have more control than you know, especially if you set up help and get more information about your situation. That gives you more power and helps you feel more in control.

Fears are often just that, a fear. They do not tell the future. Often we fear the worst, which almost never comes true. So the likelihood that this would actually happen to you is very slim. But if you still feel that the fear will not leave you, it might be helpful to talk to a therapist. The therapist can help you work through the root of your fear so you feel more in control.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your reply. I live in a one room with bathroom apt. @ a Catholic facility. I do have an alert system and a cell phone I keep close by. I don't worry about the daytime because my presence would be missed and someone would come looking for me. I could not afford any nighttime person to check on me. All three adult children live over 1 hour from me. Both my parents died from a stroke at an age younger than I am currently. I do have a history of anxiety. I am working with a therapist who suggested replacing my irrational thought - catastrophizing with a more rational thought but I am unsure what that thought might be.Can you suggest a thought I could use and could help me with

You can do something as simple as "I will be ok no matter what" to "I am not like my parents, my circumstances are different". If your doctor provides any reassurance, use that as well. It may help you to write down what your negative thoughts are and counter them with what you find out from your doctor as well as other rational thoughts. The key is to know hat worrying is not going to change the situation. By worrying, you are attempting to control the situation, which is what worrying is about- control.

Also, if you have any belief in God, you can also use scripture to comfort you. List all the Bible verses you can find where God promises comfort and care. One phrase that I find helpful myself is "Let go, let God. It reminds me to leave things in His hands and that I don't have to always have control.

Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your good advice.

You're welcome! Take care.