Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I have bipolar disorder-2 and I think this weekend Im havving

I have bipolar disorder-2 and I think this weekend I'm havving my first manic episode. I've been up for 2 days and I'm starting to get racy. Any suggestions on how I can try and get some sleep?

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

1) Please mention the drug regime that you are currently on ?

2) Are you under care of a psychiatrist ?

3) Since how many days you are not sleeping properly and what have you tried for the same till now ?

I will get back to you once you reply to my queries.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1) Lamictal 200mg, Abilify 30mg and Effexor 225

2) yes, i see a psychiatrist monthly

3) 2 days

Please mention the timing of intake of these drugs..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I take the Effexor in the morning and Lamcital and Abilify at night.

For an immediate remedy for lack of sleep you may take one teaspoonful of benadryl ( cough syrup ) which is available over the counter but make sure to contact your psychiatrist and ask him to add a sleep aid drug like klonopin ( clonazepam ) at dose of 0.5-1 mg to be taken on PRN basis that is as and when required basis.

Also you shall ask your doctor to revise the dose of lamictal , as a further increase in the dose to 300 mg to be done and that is to be taken in 2 divided doses for managing your racing thoughts and other symptoms of impending mania or else addition of another mood stabilizer such as valproate at dose of 300-500 mg twice a day shall be considered to potentate the efficacy of the current drug regime which seems to be getting ineffective as days pass by thereby threatening the onset of a manic episode.

So to summarize..

-- As a quick fix use benadryl on PRN basis for bringing in restful night time sleep..

-- Ask your psychiatrist to prescribe klonopin or xanax as a sleep aid drug at night to be taken on PRN basis..

--Also ask for drug regime revision by either titrating up the dose of lamictal to 300 mg and taking it in two divided doses or adding another mood stabilizer such as valproate to bring mood stability.

Kindly discuss this with your doctor and do the needful changes and i am positive that your manic episode can be prevented if these changes are brought about as soon as possible.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

if there is any further assistance needed please feel free to ask using the reply button.