Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

My Mother will be absolutely normal and then suddenly something

Customer Question

My Mother will be absolutely normal and then suddenly something is said that triggers a mood switch. She becomes angry, argumentive, opinionated and twists everything around. She says things that are mean things to say. She becomes abusive and is very cruel. She thinks everyone is against her and that everyone thinks she is dumb and crazy. She fights with everyone, neighbors, friends and family and she says things that are so far fetched its so unreal.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.
Dear friend,
I know how sad this is for you. Your mother seems to be suffering from the dementia associated with Alzheimer's Disorder.
It strikes women more than men, and by age 78, could be well advanced, particularly if she is suffering from paranoid delusions, and from wild mood swings. Some of the symptoms include paranoia, hallucinations, illusions, and delusions.
There are some treatments that can alleviate the symptoms but it cannot be stopped, only perhaps slowed down.
I urge you to have her examined by her doctor or by a gerontologist, and she can get medicine that will be appropriate for her.
Because she does have paranoid thoughts she may resist treatment, but you must gently coax he, and perhaps do it under the guise of a checkup rather than to tell her something that she will not believe and fight against.
I am including below an article for your enlightenment.
http://www.mdguidelines.com/dementia-alzheimers-type-with-delusions-late-onset
I shall keep her, and your entire family in my prayers.
Warm regards,
Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But this didn't just start, she has been like this most of our life. She was abusive with my older sister(physically) and she tried with me but I was the protector and she was a bit afraid of me. I left home at 17 and took my sister with me. She was 19 and got pregnant shortly after we left. But I have a younger brother and sister as well and she was crazy with them as we'll. My Brother became an alcoholic and my younger sister got pregnant to get out of the home. She yells and screams at my Dad and is abusive with him. As he aged he has had many medical problems and my Mother has taken care of him but not gracefully . He recently had a heart attack and fell and broke his hip. He had to have surgery and it was risky because of his bad heart so my Mom issued a DNR. This caused a huge fight with her and my Brother and the things that she said were unbelievable. My Father survived the operation and this has angered my Mom more. It's as if she wanted him to die. And she is angry that we visit him and help him eat.
Dear friend,
If this is the case, then nothing has changed. You mother may have had Borderline Personality Disorder all of these years and she definitely has psychotic elements of paranoid delusions that have been present and are very apparent.
She needs to be under the care of a psychiatrist and be receiving mood stabilizers or antipsychotic medications for you mean outbursts.
Right now she has the power of life and death over your father if she chooses to re-instate or keep the DNR issue, or even exclude you from the her home if she is the owner.
You may consider trying to have her declared incompetent and become her ward and can thereby protect your father and give her enough treatment to calm her down and keep her from going off into these psychotic breaks.
Life must have been hard for all of you for all of these years. Now it is time for her to get some relief - for her, for your father, and for the rest of you.
I shall continue to keep you in my prayers.
Warm regards,
Elliott