DrThomasMD, Doctor
Experience:  MD, BA psychology, Emphasis on addictions, depression, anxiety, ADHD, etc.

Hi and thanks in advance for your response. I need help

Customer Question

Hi and thanks in advance for your response.

I need help on how to help a love one acknowledged that she has atypical depression and social anxiety and seek medical help.

She has all the symptoms, but would not talk about it and if I bring it up I know she withdraws.

I am so worried as she lives on her own far from family or any friends. She hardly gets out just sits in her place.

I am so worried about her emotional state but don't know how to convince her.

Any advice will be appreciated. I even went to psychologist for advice but they told me she has to do it herself. She can't probably due to social anxiety.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JA
Does she have a family doctor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. Plus she won't go unless its an emergency. She hates dr offices.
Is she in danger of harming herself or others?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is very passive and quit. Never shown signs but doesn't mean she can't do it. Her behavior tells me her depression is getting worst. She quit grad achool
There is truly nothing you can do accept offer your wisdom and support.

Unless you are a therapist.

If she seems like she might harm herself, you can then report this to her doctor or the authorities and she can be admitted to the hospital for 72 hours of evaluation and treatment. But if she is stable after that, they have to release here.

Getting all friends and family together to express ;concern, if done correctly, can be helpful as well.

With the idea of getting her to a PhD clinical psychologist to help.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert. Other wise please choose a 3, 4 or 5 rating [smiley face or accept], But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated. Your satisfaction is my goal, along with the best information. Remember, answers do not substitute for a doctor’s visit.

For future questions ask for me I the title or request me at this link

Are you able to see the above answer?
Click a smiley face?