Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

I am so depressed and feel helpless even though I am working

I am so depressed and feel helpless even though I am working so hard to recover from abuse it haunts me and no matter how much help I get it seems like it will never be enough. I know people are trying to help me but I hate making them care about my situation. I am 22, a sophomore in college with rigorous demands as a nursing major, and go through good times and bad times but this is one of the worst and I don't know what to do from here.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question.

The process of recovering from abuse can take a long time, and it can often get more difficult at times before it gets easier. That may make it seem like the help you get will never be enough, but with enough support and positive people surrounding you, it will be possible for you to pull through this. There are plenty of support groups out there for people who have felt the exact same way, so that may be something to look into if you haven't already. Hearing other people's stories of success can help to give you that extra burst of inspiration that you need to pull through this difficult time.

If you're currently under a lot of stress because of college, that does tend to make the recovery process even more difficult because of the higher levels of anxiety that you're experiencing in general. If you don't know where to go from here, or are feeling stuck, the most important thing is to not be afraid to reach out for help. I can understand and respect that you don't want to burden others with your situation, however, most likely you would be happy to support someone close to you in their time of need, and they likely feel the same. If counseling is an option in your busy schedule, that may be a big help if you haven't already looked into that.

You didn't mention why this is one of the worst times, so I hope I've been able to answer your question. I definitely wish you the best, XXXXX XXXXX there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's one of the worst times because my best friend who I relied upon to stay grounded was sexually assaulted herself (I was molested by my brother at age 9) and since then we've grown apart and I have no one to confide in. I saw my therapist the first 3 semesters of college but encountered a limit of 12 session for this academic year because of the university's high demand for counseling services on our campus. I had a sexual assault survivors group meeting this morning with my therapist and so much of me wants to try to see him next week to tell him how bad I feel but am holding back because of his wish to see me open up to asking for help from my peer group instead of running to therapy every time I have a depressive episode. But I'm borderline suicidal right now and don't care for anyone to know that and just want him to reassure me that the nightmares I'm having will go away, that I can get through this.

Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
It's definitely tough if you and your best friend have grown apart. There is a difference between starting to rely more on your peer group, and knowing when you are in need of a higher level of help. Ideally you will start to rely on your peer group more, but it is also important to take care of yourself. If you are feel like you may act on these suicidal ideas, I would highly recommend contacting the suicide hotline at 1-800-273-TALK, or go to the emergency room. If you feel like you can manage until you can see your therapist, that may not be a bad option. However, it is important to be able to discuss the way you're feeling with someone you can trust, and ideally a professional. The nightmares will get better, but if you're still struggling, you may want to discuss some longer term counseling options if you're having a hard time managing in general. Even if he cannot work with you himself due to the high demand on campus, he may be able to refer you to someone local who can continue to help you through this. Hang in there,

Ryan
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience: Individual and Family Therapist