Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I need to know if my spouse is having an emotional affair with

I need to know if my spouse is having an emotional affair with another woman after 25 years of marriage. I have done extensive research over the internet, and he has about 25 to 28 signs. I just want to know if I should ask him outright or not for the ben efit of both of us?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What do you mean by "signs"?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you ask hims outright, he will deny it, most likely, and then you will only establish that you don't trust him.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If he IS having an emotional affair, he will redouble your efforts to hide it from you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your best approach is to watch and see not for signs, but for evidence that there is a real person or persons involved in his life with which he is having such an affair.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Mentioning this to him may push the entire affair, if there is one, into a full-blown affair and you will regret having done this.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

My advice to you is to give him the benefit of the doubt, be kind to him, and be watchful without acting as if he is already guilty.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If there is something going on you will find it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep you in my prayers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliottl, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC