Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist

Can a person seeing a therapist see them for at least 5 ye

Can a person seeing a therapist see them for at least 5 years?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. L replied 1 year ago.

Dr. L :

Dr. L :

I would like to help you with your question.

Dr. L :

The length of therapy depends on many things. For example, what the presenting issue is, the skill of the therapist and their experience with the particular issue, how hard the client works to address the issue, the number of sessions per week, if the client has other medical issues.

Dr. L :

Not many clients stay in therapy for 5 years. There really isn't an average length of treatment.

Dr. L :

Depression can be hard to treat...but some people respond very well to therapy, particularly if they are also taking an anti-depressant and receiving good care from a psychiatrist or physician.

Dr. L :

I would be happy to provide more information if you want to chat about your particular situation.

Dr. L :

Thank you.

Dr. L :

I see you are typing. I will wait for your reply.

Customer:

Who decides when there is enough therapy. The client or the therapist?

Dr. L :

It ought to be a joint decision.

Dr. L :

The therapist should be tracking from session to session how the client is doing and whether they are meeting the goals of therapy.

Dr. L :

The client has the right to say...I feel better and I believe I have met the goals I set.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. L :

The therapist ought to be checking with the client from session to session to find out how much progress they feel they are making...and if they feel that the issues are being resolved.

Dr. L :

What often happens is that the client goes from being seen weekly...to then coming every two weeks...to a check in once a month and then ending.

Dr. L :

Is there more I can answer for you?

Dr. L :

Because you are "buying a service" the client is in charge.

Customer:

-- thank you

Dr. L :

You are very welcome.

Dr. L :

I will say Good Night..

Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience: Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist