Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

i am 46 and i wish to leave my job to retrain in things i have

i am 46 and i wish to leave my job to retrain in things i have always been interested in. I am told that i could be making a very wrong move. dont know what i should do. Should i do what i want to at least address my passion or live in the doldrums but financially secure
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to help you with this.

Bill :

It takes courage to change and to make choices that inspire you inner desires are those that you should always follow.

Bill :

For many years, I have told people with similar questions that " It is too easy to stay" meaning that the comforts of what is know sometimes prevent us from moving in a direction.

Customer:

i dont get you. Things are lot easier said than done. i am really really confused or perhaps dont have the courage to do what i desire.

Bill :

Follow your passion, regardless of the end, you will gain great strength and insight and declare yourself in a way that is new and natural.

Bill :

Barriers are common to change- it is the resistance to change that you must confront. When complete- the order will reveal itself

Bill :

You define you = and your destiny- no one else-

Customer:

part of the problem i am asking is this. the world is in turmoil and there are lots of unemployment etc, why do i want to give up what i have to go into things unknown. it may turn out good or worse, i may end up in a worse position financially

Bill :

embrace this challenge and you will enrich your life.

Bill :

what is it that you wish to do.?

Bill :

All change has risk-

Bill :

Risk and change go hand in hand-------what is more important..........to be tied at the dock or out in the open ocean sailing your own ship?

Customer:

You dont understand. what right do i have to want to do this at a late age of 46. When i wanted to do this earlier, i did not have the finance. now i dont have as much financial responsibility and want this to improve myself and to knwo more about myself.

Customer:

I have always been teaching business communication. I intend to take up courses in voice and performance in Vancouver and US to be a competent speaker and a creative storyteller.

Bill :

Fantastic- follow your dream-------------

Customer:

despite my age and the unknown.

Bill :

We only have one life- the unknown is all we have anyway? Right?>

Bill :

We are often locked in the comfortable know when in reality-----------nothing is truly known.. Tomorrow could be the last chance we have.

Customer:

one should follow a dream despite the given uncertainties

Bill :

You have just given the definition of a dream.............follow it-.

Bill :

IF it was not present in your conscience mind--------it would not be real or viable. To dismiss is to dismiss your true self.

Customer:

would you still recommend if i am not financially secure in doing the courses i intend.

Bill :

Do you know what a tombstone is?

Customer:

a simplistic structure that states that a person has come to rest in life or at least his mortal remains.

Bill :

Have you ever seen one that says-----------"Gee, I wish I had spent another day at the office making money"

Customer:

no i have not. nt yet anyway

Bill :

That is my point- your focus is heartfelt and nothing that has to do with making money should take its place of such a DREAM.

Bill :

The dream or talent wins every time. HAPPINESS!

Customer:

it is better to have a dream and to have pursued it and then not. my friends and family think i am committing suicide of all sorts. i should just shut the dam mind and live with what i have.

Bill :

Money and financial security has nothing to do with inner happiness........

Bill :

I agree with you. It is your life -----------------not theirs.

Bill :

Let them make their choices.

Bill :

To live their lives as they wish- not as they wish you to live.

Customer:

Honestly, is it suicide to want to do something different at a ripe age of 46. i would have to start all over again and compete with the very young and hale and hearty

Bill :

46- 47- 48- 49-

Bill :

you will continue to wonder if you should have tried.

Bill :

If you have been successful making money once- you can do it again- Take a year and give it a try.

Bill :

If you succeed- you will be forever happy. If not, you can always make money.

Customer:

Dear Bill, i have been thinking of this for a decade. Please tell me something to hammer the thought that i should not let caution in the wind stop me. I should just pursue what i want in this life.

Bill :

That is not what brings inner joy|

Customer:

i do not want to be thinking that i should have done this in another decade. i want to do it now. i know that i will succeed and i know i will try very try to do what must be done

Bill :

Mantra: "PURSUE WHAT I WANT IN LIFE"

Bill :

It comes from you as it is you.

Bill :

Keep repeating the Mantra that came from within you............don't wait to follow a dream- embrace it now- for it yours now and forever more.

Bill :

Pursue it now.....That is all we have...........the gift of the present.

Bill :

I wish you peace and the fulfillment of your dreams............Chase it now..................and do not look back.

Bill :

Your future is ahead of you.........the past is gone.

Bill :

Kindest regards,

Bill :

Bill

Customer:

i sitll dont know if i could be making a wrong move in leaving a secure job.

Bill :

Then you are not ready----------give yourself permission- it can only come from you.

Bill :

A secure job----------hmmmmmmmmmmm??????? what does that really mean-------------think about that- and how happy you are with such security..............

Bill :

I wish you th ebest,

Bill :

Best,

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

I appreciate your positive rating and wish you the very best.............

Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience: 35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.