Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist
16045978

My husband confides in our adult son who is 31 yrs old that

My husband confides in our adult son who is 31 yrs old that I think he should confide in
an adult friend. He confides about issues he may be having with me, as his wife.
I think this crosses a boundary, but, my son says Mom I'm the only son he has, and I
want him to confide in me
Thanks for your question.

I can certainly understand why you would feel that it's inappropriate for your husband to be confiding in your son about issues that he is having with you. It may be ok for him to talk to your son about many other things, but since you are both his parents, it can eventually put your son in an awkward position, or make him feel like he has to choose sides depending on the situation. While your son obviously has good intentions and may be a great listener, it would probably best for the entire family if your husband found someone who is not directly related to both of you to discuss relationship issues with you, because that will affect the relationship that you have with your son. Otherwise it is great that they have such a close bond, however if certain issues pertain directly to you, it seems understandable that you would not want him to discuss that with your son. I definitely wish you the best with all of this, and if there's anything I can do to help just let me know.

Ryan