Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

I suffer from pmdd I think and my anxiety is so bad I sometimes

I suffer from pmdd I think and my anxiety is so bad I sometimes can't be in my skin. Is Zoloft for me? Im scared I'll lose sex drive with my husband
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how frustrating this situation must be for you. Zoloft is in a class of antidepressants called SSRIs and it is a class that, like most of the antidepressants causes diminished sexual drive in some patients. But it is also a class of antidepressants that has become most successful because it helps with the primary depressive symptoms for which it is prescribed for many people as well. So it's been a trade off.

I don't know whether it is available in Australia yet, you'll have to check with your doctor. There's a new SSRI in the US called Viibryd (generic name is vilazodone). If that's available, the buzz during clinical trials was that there were very few complaints of sexual side effects or weight gain. This has continued now that it's in the marketplace. So this may be one option.

Some people also have had success with adding a medication to counteract this side effect. The most research in terms of augmenting sexual drive to counteract antidepressants has been on bupropion. It itself is a type of antidepressant. However, studies have shown it to interact with SSRIs to counteract the sexual depressant effect. Mirtazapine has also had some clinical evidence to support this same effect. So these are two possibilities to discuss with your doctor.

You might also consider adding a behavioral component to your treatment for your depression and anxiety. I'm also concerned that there may be some PTSD involved in your symptoms given the sexual abuse in your history. While behavioral treatment requires more effort from the patient than medications and is not as quick acting, it doesn't have the side effects nor withdrawal symptoms of the medications. If you would like to introduce a behavioral treatment, feel free to ask me another question about it. Just write “For Dr. Mark” at the beginning and everyone will know it’s for me.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

for dr mark.thankyou for your advice. iwas abused by a family member. so im not sure what could help with the healing. your right i could have ptsd how would i know for sure? i have a baby 3mths old and a 3 yr old and i want to be in the best state of mind for them to. would the pill help at all with the pmdd? thank you kindly

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
Yes, Viibryd is in the same class of antidepressants as Zoloft, so it would also be prescribed for the PMDD.

That a family member sexually abused you is a terrible part of your history, I know. And it is so sad, but that is the most common situation for PTSD symptoms, when there was abuse by family members. It is so important that you are thinking about your children; but I am thinking about you: you are important as well. Your feeling better and your feeling whole is valuable just because you're valuable even before the kids, okay?

Here is an online therapist finder for Australia that I like because you can see a picture of the person and read about them a bit. So put in for the therapist either psychologist or a psychotherapist and see if they are experienced in working with PTSD and you feel a good rapport with them.

http://www.findatherapist.com.au/

The Australian Psychological Society has a search.

http://www.psychology.org.au/FindaPsychologist/Default.aspx

I wish you the very best!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

tthankyou dr mark i appreciate. i feel sometimes that im the bad one even though im sure im not. its the guilt.because it was happening tomy younger sister and my other cousins. it just makes u feel like your not wanted if your not sexually orientated. thankyou.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this is why I brought it up to begin with: this is part of the tragedy of sexual abuse: the victim is the one who feels like something is wrong with them. This is why therapy is so important: so that you can feel whole and begin to separate your own "self" from the self that had to form in reaction to the abuse.

I wish you the very best!

Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience: Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice