Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

best midiction to stop re experincing anixety of a truama.

Hi! I'll be glad to be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how difficult this situation must be for you. It sounds as though the PTSD from the trauma is rather severe.

Paxil (paroxetine is the chemical name if you need it in Canada) is the medication most prescribed for PTSD. It is in a class of antidepressants called SSRI. Each medication in that class is different. Paxil has worked best to deal with the type of anxiety that usually occurs in severe PTSD.

Zoloft (sertraline) is another SSRI that is prescribed for the anxiety of PTSD. Now, notice that I'm referring only to the anxiety symptoms associated with the PTSD. This is because no medications actually treat the trauma effects themselves, only the associated anxiety and/or depression symptoms.

For treatment of the PTSD itself you will have to seek help in psychotherapy that is especially geared toward PTSD, okay? But these two medications are probably the ones to begin with in discussing meds with your doctor.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok wt about shourt term dissation midicines?

There are no medications that directly treat dissociative disorders or the symptoms of dissociation directly. The anxiety medications/antidepressants are, again, what are used to help give short term relief. They don't address the dissociation directly, though. That has to be worked on in therapy. The therapies that are used can range from Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to very intensive psychodynamic therapies to art therapy. Depending on the severity of the dissociative disorder the therapy will be very intensive and will take months or longer. The medications we have like Paxil can, again, offer some help with the anxiety and depressive symptoms.

I wish you the very best!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi,i want to ask you something else.since had truama which 10 guys attack me,that fear and that moment start getting worse and worse,i lived that moment for 1 year after that get dId,i get out of body,now i start with theripest,and want to fix my midction,am taking luvox 200 mg but i still dissoiated and reexperincng didnt stops since the that day,so if i change it to zoloft or seroxat can i get out reexperincing and then get out dissoation?or luvox good for reexperincing?.the biggest problem with ptsd is re experincing,i never gut out that!!i always feel thretend,and thank you

Hi, nice to hear from you again!

As for the reexperiencing issue: we don't know of any medications that deal directly with that. Medications don't address specific "thought" patterns. They only address brain processes. The only way we know to specifically address reexperiencing the shock moment, or flashbacks, or fright sensations, etc. is through some form of exposure therapy or similar type of therapy, like EMDR. Those therapies, though, don't have 100% success by any means. And often severe cases like you are experiencing are not treated long enough with both EMDR or similar protocol and associated CBT and/or psychodynamic therapies to help you with the anxiety, panic and the symptoms of the reexperiencing and dissociation. So, it's a long term therapy that may be needed incorporating all those modalities.

Seroxat is peroxetine, which is called Paxil in the US and is the medication I spoke about originally. It is really worth your trying. Luvox, though, was a good choice as well as it is prescribed often for compulsive thoughts. Again, remember that medications only affect processes, not specific thought types within processes. So it is very chancy that you will get relief of the reexperiencing and dissociation without intensive therapy such as I outlined above.

I wish you the very best!