TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I am so scared, I am having numbness, tightness in arms and

I am so scared, I am having numbness, tightness in arms and chest tingling and burning all over and I feel like I am going to die. I went to urgent care 2 days ago. They did EKG and blood work to see if it was my heart. All the blood work was good and EKG was normal. Yet I still fell crazy and I am scared I am going to go crazy
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you have anxiety. It is very normal to feel like you are crazy when you have anxiety. Your fear is based on having another panic attack. Panic can make you feel you are out of control and that feeling can lead to a fear of being "crazy" or losing it.

If you feel crazy, very fearful and like you are losing it, you are just experiencing anxiety. It is common to experience feeling "crazy" and unusual. What you need to do is remind yourself that you are not crazy and that if you were, this wouldn't be bothering you. You are not crazy. Nor are you losing it. It is only a feeling and feelings cannot hurt you. People who are crazy do not question their own sanity. They do not fear losing control and they are usually very calm.

Keep in mind that this is just a feeling. Feelings can bother you, but they cannot hurt you. Part of helping yourself through anxiety is to accept your feelings. Allow yourself to be overwhelmed and you will find that although it feels bad, nothing happens to you. You will be ok and keep going.

You do not have to suffer alone with anxiety. Therapy is proven to help greatly reduce or even eliminate anxiety all together. It works by helping you change how you think. With anxiety, your thoughts are causing your mind to think your in danger. Your body reacts by releasing adrenaline into your system. Adrenaline causes the symptoms you feel, including the panic attacks. It is much like after you have had a bad scare like a car accident. Your body releases the adrenaline and you feel unreal, your legs turn to jelly, you have trouble thinking and your body may feel tingling. You just don't notice it as much because your focus is on what is going on around you. Except with anxiety, there is no focus. The only thing you have to focus on is how you feel.

Therapy can help you. To find a therapist, ask your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

Medications are helpful to ease the symptoms but they vary in their effectiveness. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication. But medications can help to reduce your symptoms quickly so you can work on overcoming your fears.

You can also help yourself at home. Here are some resources to help:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne is excellent for any fears. It is self help and contains everything from supplements to relaxation techniques.

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!