Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist
16045978

hello,I wanted to ask you a question : I have anxiety I want

hello,I wanted to ask you a question :
I have anxiety I want to go see a therapist,but I have an uncle who is
a psychiatrist can I talk about it with him?
what is the difference between a therapist and a psychiatrist?I always thought
psychiatrists were treating schizphrenia ect..
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is not ethical for your uncle to treat you in any way because you are involved with him personally. He is related to you and it is unethical for mental health professionals to treat family or friends because of the conflicts it would cause in treatment. Your uncle can provide advice however as to who you can see and what treatment might work for you, but he cannot treat you as a patient.

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor that specializes in mental health. Although they primarily prescribe mental health medications (which is why they treat people with Schizophrenia who need medications to maintain their disorder), some do therapy as well. A psychologist is someone with a PhD (doctorate) in Psychology. They focus on therapy and are not able to prescribe drugs. You can see both types of professionals if you feel medications are needed. However for therapy, a psychologist or a Master's level therapist are better choices for what you are describing.

You can find a good therapist in many ways. But the key to which therapist you choose is finding one that fits your needs. For example, a therapist that works out for one person may not be what you are looking for. A therapist needs to not only be a good personality fit, but also provide the type of therapy you are seeking. So talking to a few therapists over the phone or in person can help you screen which one provides what you need.

Here are ways to increase the chances you find someone that is best suited to help you:

Ask your doctor. Doctors often come across people who are depressed or anxious. Since they can only offer medication to help, they usually refer out for therapy. And patients sometimes provide feedback so a doctor may be familiar with good therapists in their area.

Screen therapists on line. Here is a site that helps:

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/

It also helps to be familiar with the credentials of therapists. Anyone who is a Master's level and above (PhD) is required.

Experience also is needed, especially in the area you are concerned about such as depression or anxiety. Here is a list of therapist's credentials:

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/content/therapy_credentials.html.

Contact local universities and colleges. Many of them have psychology programs and can recommend a therapist based on what you need.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my problem is that I swallow my saliva all the time,I know that everybody swallows their saliva all the time,but me its like every 2 minutes ,I think I am too conscious about it and whenever I am in class and I do that all the time I am afraid people hear me swallowing my saliva all the time and think I am weird..

It could be that you have an anxiety disorder but it could also be OCD- Obsessive compulsive disorder. It is hard to say for sure. You need a full mental health evaluation to determine a diagnosis.

Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think its more anxiety because when I am at home I dont do it a lot,but when I go to school or around other people I do it more...

and then I become afraid that they notice it,I think it is related to the fact that I worry too much about what people think of me..

what should I do? :(

Therapy can really help you get to the root of why you experience this and how you can address it. You can also address it through self help by learning more about anxiety and how you can help yourself. Here are some resources to help:

On line links:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_self_help.htm

http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/mental-health-anxiety-disorders

Books:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus EdD and Jon Carlson PsyD EdD

Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear & Worry by Edmund J. Bourne and Lorna Garano

Support groups:

http://psychcentral.com/resources/Anxiety_and_Panic/Support_Groups/

http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Anxiety/support-group

Kate

Please don't forget to rate my service as OK or higher so I am credited for my answer. Thanks so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

It looks like Kate gave you a very thorough response to your question. Did you have any additional questions or concerns that I could help you out with?

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello,I have a small problem: I swallow my saliva every two minutes,I mean im very conscious about it and I do it more when I am in school or around people ,I think its anxiety because when I am around people I used to be afraid that they notice me doing it all the time or hear my throat every two minutes ,and I believe that its also related to social anxiety because

I care a lot of what people think...

I dont know what to do because right now I can not go see a therapist

Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.

I agree that it is likely related to anxiety, which can affect people socially and in many other ways. I also completely understand that it is not always possible to see a therapist. It does seem like Kate left you a lot of links to websites, books, and support groups, so that is probably the best place to start in order to start getting this under control yourself if you can't see a therapist. Often times it takes a lot of work and dedication to start getting these problems under control, and it can be challenging to try and do that on your own in the beginning. However, a lot of the resources listed above are very good, and should help you get on a positive track. You can also dial #211 in the United States, and that will connect you with the United Way who can usually direct you to some free or low cost counseling services. Hang in there.

Ryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I talked to a psychiatrist couple weeks ago,he told me that my problem is actually nothing,its just that I am too conscious about the swallowing thing

and that I shouldnt worry if people notice it because they wont notice it unless they see me worried about it...

now I am doing EFT for anxiety I hope it will help...

Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
The advice that your psychiatrist gave you tends to be true in many cases. Often times it is the anxiety about what people may think that makes the problem seem much worse than it really is. Usually in those cases, if you stop worrying about, then others will not worry about it either. I'm personally not too familiar with EFT, but if it works for you that is what is most important. All the best,

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im trying to stay positive and not think about that but the problem is that it keeps coming back,I already talked to this professional few weeks ago he told me that this is nothing,deep inside of me I know its nothing but I dont know why I worry about it,its pathetic because in life theres more important things than worrying about swallowing and if people hear me swallowing because I do it too much...maybe if I go see a therpist he will find me weird...

Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
It's good that you're trying to stay positive, and while I know what you mean about there being more important things to worry about, some people do have these types of problems so it's not something to be ashamed of or feel pathetic about. The good news is that most therapists will not think you are weird because they would be experienced in this area, and they should be able to help you to continue to work on overcoming this. That does seem like one of the best places to start.

I definitely wish you the best with all of this, and if there's anything else I can do to help please let me know. Otherwise if you wouldn't mind leaving me a positive review I'd really appreciate it. Thanks,

Ryan
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience: Individual and Family Therapist