Jean
Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
66147936

Hi Im just wondering about a few things, I have been going to a psykiatrist now for

Hi I'm just wondering about a few things, I have been going to a psykiatrist now for 2 weeks and its the first time I have done this, probably because its the first time I have been forced to deal with issues. (just got married) And I feal that I have felt this depressive state many times before along with short periods were I do way more stuff that I normally never would do. I have a tendensy to lie alot to ''close'' friends and family just to get away and be alone (in happy and bad days) It seems to me that I have a problem of finishing ideas or thoughts on a dayly basis. Sometimes when I look back at my life I wonder why I am where I am now and how many different personalitys I've had to fit social settings so I can ''outlive it''. I can right now say that there are things that I would want to do in life, but tomorrow I dont know if I have the energy to actually finish. I have alot of questions but I should just start with this.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Sorry to keep you waiting. Are you available for a live chat?

Customer:

Hi!

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Thank you for your post. You have taken a big step in seeking out help for the "issues" you refer to. Congratulations on that and on getting married. It takes courage to seek out help for personal issues.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Hello, thank you for joining me!

Customer:

I have been searching in my thoughts and habits and after doing this i fear I have the bipolar 2 disorder.

Customer:

Sorry for my bad english, I am norwegian

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Getting married can motivate you to get better!! It can be scary realizing a diagnosis- I can understand you perfectly

Jean N/20pluscounts :

What do you fear?

Customer:

I fear it isnt something wrong with me and that I'm just like this.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Mood disorders are treatable, but do need to follow dr. recommendations and medications. You are dealing with a mood disorder, it does not have to define you.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Many people are dealing, coping with a mood disorder.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

There is nothing "wrong" with you, it's more about you are struggling right now- it is not "who" you are.

Customer:

Ok, my brother and mother are both bipolar does that make it more likely that I have some sort of biologic

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Once you know what you are dealing with, you can get the help you need, and deserve- to make your future better for you and your new wife/family. The first and most important step is defining the problem so you can seek a solution and treatment. Yes it would make you more vulnerable for the same.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

It's difficult realizing this may be the case- similar to your brother and mother?

Customer:

I know i am not bipolar 1 because I have seen this full blown, but I have many simularites with both of them but not exactly the same

Jean N/20pluscounts :

It can be genetic, yes, similar to other illnesses. You did not ask for this nor create this, but now have to take a close look at what you are dealing with, get the treatment you need, and that is typically medication. Right, you may just have traits not full blown.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

If you address and treat this early you will have a better outcome- to avoid "full blown".

Customer:

Ok what could be the alternative diagnoses? Is it that I am just lazy or distre by nature?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

The doctor will treat your symptoms specifically. It's a big first step to see a psychiatrist. You said you were forced to go? You have more on the line and want to be healthy in your marriage.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

What are your symptoms?

Customer:

I am quickly sad, get angry when pressured, shy away from people. I am in a state were I cant remember when I was outgoing but when I am I am always in the middle of everything talking alot, i feel like im almost narcicistic

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Some of what you describe, like lying can be a learned behavior, or a coping mechanism- something you learned to get through life. Some of those coping mechanisms we develop when young we do not need anymore- but we continue them, such as the lying. This is all part of the first step- identify specifically the problems.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Do you have trouble concentrating, organizing yourself, focusing?

Customer:

Definetly

Customer:

My mom and dad thought in a early age that i maybe had adhd

Jean N/20pluscounts :

That's what I was wondering.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Often to be diagnosed with adult adhd there needs to be a history when younger.

Customer:

They took a test and i wasnt diagnosed when I was a child

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Your doctor may want you to tested for adhd, and other symptoms

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Sometimes it can be a mild form as a child

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Your parents had the most contact with you- It's hard sometimes pin pointing a specific diagnosis- more important to report those symptoms and get treatment for the symptoms.

Customer:

ok

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You took a big first step in seeing the dr.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You are headed in the right direction

Customer:

Thank you

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You are welcome!

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Be really specific with your dr. about your symptoms- write them down as you remember and experience them.

Customer:

Ok but I have difficulties remembering states I recall are abit ''hi''. What does that tell you? If anything

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You are not alone in what you describe- there is good treatment out there. High energy, manic?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Certainly that can be a trait of adhd or mood disorder.

Customer:

I thought I was very energetic before and now It only comes and goes mostly downs

Jean N/20pluscounts :

It may be a good idea to take someone with you to the dr. another person who observes you. It is hard identifying those yourself sometimes.

Customer:

My wife was with me the second time I visited the doctor

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Good, keep her involved

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Did the dr. give you medication?

Customer:

remeron anti depressives

Customer:

15 mg

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Medication can be a trial and error- do not despair if the first med does not work- takes a couple sometimes to get it right.

Customer:

ok

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Stick with the med- it can take time to work.

Customer:

Ok thanks for everything

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You are welcome- you sound motivated- that will help you lots.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Let me know if I can help again.

Customer:

will do

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Best wishes on your journey and in your marriage!!

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Please rate my answer okay or higher so I can get credit. Much appreciated!!