Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

I have been struggling lately. I dont fit in with society and

I have been struggling lately. I dont fit in with society and no one understands me. People constantly correct me and they me I misunderstood what they said or my view of the situation is wrong. I have difficulties putting my thoughts in order and can find the right words and dont make sense when I speak. My exhusband is on a mission to ruin my life and enjoys pushing buttons by telling me im sick. I get disturbing thoughts that I cant stop and dont know if I will follow through on them or not. I have been diagnosed with DID, bipolar, and schizoaffective disorder. I dont know who to believe or what to do anymore. I isolate most of the time because I know talk about me or want to do things to hurt me. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

I am happy to try and help you but I need a little more information.

1) Are you getting any form of treatment now and if so please describe and if taking medication.......which one(s)?
2) Please send me the Zip Code where you live so I can familiarize my self with resources that can help.

Thank you.

Bill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Not currently getting treatment and not taking meds.
2. Zip code is 33066
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information.

I happen to also be in Florida and know that Broward County has some Excellent Resources for treatment.

I note your diagnostic history and you have probably been in treatment and on medication before.

Now it appears that you need support to help deal with the what sounds like an emotionally abusive relationship.

I guess my further question for you is how receptive you are to counseling, support groups and whether you think medication may be helpful.

I look forward to your response?

Kindest regards, Bill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am skeptical of my true diagnosis. I have been hospitalized approx 20 times and put on alot different meds for about 17yrs. I did not like the side effects(weight gain)) from the antipsychotic meds. last yr my therapist stopped seeing me and i stopped taking meds. I have taking time off work during times where i felt like jumping out of my skin. I am receptive is the therapist is skilled and if i am prescribed meds that work with no weight gain..
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Thank you-

Let me do a little research and I will get back to you with some concrete suggestions this afternoon.

Kindest regards,
Bill
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Hello again-

In thinking about what you have written and relying on 35 years of experience in the Mental Health Field- I think you should see a Therapist that has specialty interest in EMDR Therapy.

WHAT is EMDR?

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a therapeutic technique that was developed to bring about emotional healing at an accelerated rate. Research began in 1989 after its founder, psychologist Francine Shapiro, Ph.D., informally observed that certain eye movements could help reduce emotional tension.

Formal research soon followed where participants exposed specific troubling memories to the technique. Consistent, encouraging results have emerged for the last two and a half decades.

Seeing an EMDR therapist is, in many ways, no different from seeing any other kind of mental health professional. History-taking, establishing rapport, and developing specific goals of treatment remain relatively similar. A chief difference, however, is that an EMDR therapist will often attempt to understand current difficulties in light of troubling memories. For example, if a client reports that they are having trouble at work with a demanding, demeaning boss, an EMDR therapist might ask very specific questions regarding that client’s reaction to that boss: What is the chief emotional response (fear, anger, shame, etc)? What is the chief cognitive response (I am incompetent; I will never succeed, etc.)? In most cases, a good history will reveal previous similar experiences. A trained EMDR therapist will then integrate these experiences into a treatment plan that will address the intensity of those past memories and present difficulties.

Research tells us that the more intense and painful a memory is, the more likely it will be stored in the brain differently than regular memories; in a more isolated fashion, cut off from the natural problem-solving resources of the rest of the brain. On the short run, this often results in immediate relief. Unfortunately, in the long run this method of storing intense, “unprocessed” feelings can lead to a host of emotional problems and overreactions. The mechanism that brings these isolated memories back into contact with the natural resources of the brain is bilateral stimulation. Some have suggested that the same mechanism may be at work when we have rapid eye movements (REM) while we dream during sleep. Bilateral stimulation of the brain can take on a number of forms, including eye movement, alternating sounds, or tapping.

An EMDR therapist will organize the sessions based on presenting complaints, treatment goals, and a thorough history. This is followed by sets of bilateral stimulation. EMDR then, is a method of connecting old, distressing memories with more positive adult coping skills, resulting in symptom relief. A more complete description of the eight stages of treatment can be found at http://www.emdrnetwork.org/description.html.

There are many trained therapists in your area. I am attaching a link that lists the Therapists , backgrounds and contact information. All are within 5 miles of your Zip Code:

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?sid=1361810424.3011_32156&zipcode=33066&zipdist=5&spec=1&spec=19&spec=301&lmore=1

Of course, I am curious to know what you think. Feel free to respond - I think this approach will help you .

Kindest regards,

Bill

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bill,

I do not have relationship issues that need to be resolved. This process does not look like something that would help me in my situation. I refuse to be a guinea pig with a new type of therapy and waste more money on therapy that does not work. Mental Health Professionals are the experts and should be able to properly diagnose me and prescribe the right meds if needed. I have yet to experience this. Thanks for taking the time to provide me an answer to my question.

Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
I completely understand that you have been through the ringer on this. The reference to relationship issues was from your original question when you indicated your ex is putting you "on a mission to ruin" your life.

My suggestion if you want conclusive diagnosis is to see a Clinical Psychologist who can provide formalized testing that will render a conclusive diagnosis and provide a treatment plan that is suitable for your Diagnostic needs.

If you have never had formal Psychological Testing from a Clinical Psychologist, let me know and I will be happy to give you names of experts in your area.

I am happy to help in anyway I can.

Kind regards,

Bill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bill,

Yes I've been around the block a lot. I am not resistant to therapy. I incurred a lot of medical bills over the years and in the same position I was in at the beginning. Without going into details, my ex is narcissistic and no one can help me deal with the verbal abuse. I tried numerous times.

I went through alot of assessments but I am not sure if any of them where psychological tests. If you have a list of experts in my area please send them.

Thanks

Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.

You probably have had some type of testing along the way but getting current, updated and comprehensive testing is the best way to know what your diagnosis is or isn't.

I would suggest the follow 3 Clinical Psychologists in your area:

1)Dr. Laura LaPointe
398 Camino Gardens Blvd Suite 206 Boca Raton, FL 33432
(561)(NNN) NNN-NNNN(Office)

2) Dr. Michael Simonds

Clinical Psychology, Neuropsychology

1620 W Oakland Park Blvd, Oakland Park, FL 33311(NNN) NNN-NNNN(Office)

3) Dr. XXXXX XXXXX
7301 W Palmetto Park Rd Suite 204A Boca Raton, FL 33433(NNN) NNN-NNNN(Office)

All of the above are Experts in Psychological and NeuroPsychological Testing

I wish you the very best,

Bill

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thx
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.

I appreciate your Positive Rating so that I receive credit for my time.

Thank you - and again, my very best.

Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience: 35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's