Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Is it possible for anxiety to cause neuropathy? OKMH222211

Is it possible for anxiety to cause neuropathy?  I have had this nerve burning sensation up and down my legs - mainly thighs for the past month

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is very possible for anxiety to be the cause of your symptoms. But whenever there is a physical symptom involved, it is always a good idea to see your doctor first to screen out any possibility of a physical issue. If none is found, then you can most likely attribute your symptoms to anxiety.

Anxiety can cause many physical sensations as well as emotional distress. Many people with anxiety report "odd" sensations from tingling in the head, pain or sensations in the extremities and odd aches and pains in other areas of their body. Often doctors cannot find any reason for the sensations. Most likely they come from the nerves which are triggered when someone feels anxious.

An anxiety reaction is triggering your nervous system to respond so it is natural that you would experience odd sensations and pain where there is no physical reason for it to be there. Anxiety causes adrenaline to flood your system which tells your nervous system there is danger. That causes all kinds of reactions that usually you would not pay attention to. But with anxiety, you have no "danger" so you focus on body sensations. Also, anxiety can cause you to tense up creating pain in your body similar to a muscle injury.

Here is a link to help you understand the relationship between the body and anxiety:

http://www.anxietycare.org.uk/docs/biologicaleffects.asp

With therapy, self help and possibly medications, anxiety can be overcome.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are a saint. Thank you.

Wow thank you! That was very kind of you :) If I can ever help again, just let me know (put "Kate" in front of your question).

My best to you,
Kate