Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Ive been on Lunesta for 4 days and its not helping. I fall

I've been on Lunesta for 4 days and it's not helping. I fall asleep but don't stay asleep. I've also been on Prozac from a few months to treat depression. Am I doing something wrong?

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about this problem.

Bill :

It is not that you are doing anything wrong- however, Lunesta is designed to help you fall asleep quite rapidly but is metabolized quickly with a half life of 4-6 hours (meaning that is starts losing its peak after this time period.

Bill :

Therefore, if you are not getting a whole nights sleep it is quite simply, how Lunesta is designed to work.

Bill :

If I were you, I would talk to your Doctor about an alternative if you are not getting enough sleep or whether is okay to take an additional dose if you awaken in the night and cannot fall asleep.

Bill :

I am attaching a link that has detailed information about other medications that are alternatives to Lunesta - if needed.

Bill :

I see that you are typing and will be happy to respond.

Customer:

I've taken Temazepam and that was ineffective. Ambien worked beautifully, but the side effects because too much to handle. Is natural meletonin safe to take along with the Lunesta?

Bill :

There are no contraindications with taking these together- however- Discuss with your Doctor to make sure that your are getting the right dosages for your unique needs.

Customer:

Thank you

Bill :

Many people use Melatonin with Lunsesta for reasons similar issues as you present- Just double check with your Doc and all should be fine.

Bill :

You are most welcome. My Pleasure.

Bill :

Kindest Regards,

Bill :

Bilk

Bill :

Bill