Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

Hello! I have some questions about my mental health. I am 19

Hello! I have some questions about my mental health. I am 19 years old and have worries that i might be experiencing panick attacks or something like that from time to time. My first time was 3 years ago when i decided to go veggie, my family was very disapproval and said it will affect my health. Later on I was discussing it with my friend at school during the lesson and she said that she tried being vegetarian and she felt really bad, had no energy etc. While she was talking I started imagining how my body lacks all vitamins and because I was the only vegeterian in my environment I felt like I can die or something, generally felt left out. I started sweating, my heart was beating very fast and I started feeling very dizzy. I fainted and the teacher called an ambulance. The people who saw me faint said I had muscle twitches. I recovered conciousness after a couple of minutes and the ambulance came after 5 minutes. They measured my blood pressure and it was very low 60/40. Because I was vegetarian for a very short time, doctors decided that it was because of my eating so I had intravenous drip for something like 6 hours in the hospital and they let me go home with a promise to come back to my usual diet. Since I was consciuos again I knew it's nothing to do with my veggie diet and that it was something with my thoughts, but I came back to eating meat cause I had scared the whole family and myself as well. I went back to vegeterianism again after a couple of months cause my ethical beliefs made me feel guilty while eating meat and I am continue being vegeterian to this day. For the last 2 years, I had experienced 2 more faints at school. Once after watching a movie about one saint person who died from a cancer and her struggle, I started feeling very bad, like I am that person who is so different from everyone else and about to die. I felt like she was left out and then that if I was and there was no escape. So I fainted again. I also had experienced similar feelings a couple of times, but without fainting, just getting out of the classroom on time when I strarted feeling that anxious. I am at university now and I started feeling that during my lecture, luckily the lecture finished soon and as soon as got out of the room I felt better. Everytime after those faints, my mother used to take me to the private clinic and do all the medical tests, they couldn't find anything bad about my health, quite an opposite, they said I had a very good health and suggested visiting a pshycologist. I thought it's not necessary and I can overcome it myself. But today I felt that maybe I cannot. I can also see that it never happens anywhere else except from school and now university. So what do you think it could be and what kind of help should I seek? Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to help you out.
Considering that you are in good health, it is very likely that you are experiencing panic attacks. These occur when people are experiencing particularly high moments of anxiety, which may explain why this only happens to you at school and now university. From what you've described, it sounds like you've ruled out this being related to your diet, which makes it even more likely that it is anxiety related.
There is certainly help for this and it is a reason a lot of people go to counselling. Often times at university there are free counseling services, and that may be the best place to start. Panic attacks can be extremely frightening, but if you are able to gain more control of your anxiety in general, these will stop happening. A counsellor should be able to help you work on getting all of this under control. If your university does not provide counselling services, it would be best to see a psychologist or therapist on your own, and they will be able to help you out.
Often times people feel like they have their anxiety under control, but then it comes out in ways like you described. Most likely with a little bit of work you will be able to over come this and be free of these panic attacks. I definitely wish you the best with all of this, and if there's anything else I can do to help just let me know.
Ryan
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. Where should I get correct diagnosis and what's the possibility that I might be diagnosed incorrectly? Thank you.
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
A psychologist or a psychiatrist would be able to give you an official diagnosis. However, most therapists and counsellors would be able to help you with this type of problem, which is why it would typically be ok to see someone at the university. They should at least have the knowledge to point you in the right direction if they cannot help you themselves. As long as you've been cleared of any health issues, it is highly likely that this is anxiety/panic related, and there would be very little chance of an incorrect diagnosis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad I could help :) If you wouldn't mind leaving me a positive review I'd really appreciate it. Good luck with everything,
Ryan
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience: Individual and Family Therapist