DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.

dissoation and emdr

dissoation and emdr
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrFee replied 1 year ago.

DrFee :

Hello! It's been awhile since we've chatted. How are you doing? Would you like to talk with me?

DrFee :

It looks like you are not available. I would be happy to talk to answer your question(s) about EMDR and dissociation. Can you please post a specific question? Thanks!

Customer:

hi

Customer:

are you there?

DrFee :

Yes, I am. Can you please post a specific question for me to answer?

Customer:

hi

Customer:

i will wait for you it is ok

DrFee :

Hello

DrFee :

How are you?

Customer:

hi

Customer:

at last

Customer:

i finished university

Customer:

i apply for visa

Customer:

to canada

Customer:

i get it#

Customer:

today

DrFee :

That's great!

Customer:

i had apointment with emdr therpiest

Customer:

she told me

Customer:

you hv

DrFee :

I'm so glad to hear that!

Customer:

ptsd

Customer:

and dissoiation

Customer:

but

Customer:

and she did me a test

Customer:

and i had 38% of dissioation

Customer:

and i hv a q

Customer:

i need to ask

Customer:

plz

Customer:

since i start

Customer:

emdr

Customer:

i start

Customer:

re experincing truama

Customer:

more and more

Customer:

and things get more worse

Customer:

because the trauama happend infront my house

Customer:

so i feel my house

Customer:

so i didnt feel good in my countrie

DrFee :

38% dissociation is significant, but not super high --I assume that you took the DES. Yes, things can get worse when you start EMDR. Your therapist should help you with grounding techniques and talk to you about how to contain the emotions when they come up.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

but she refusied to make emdr to me now

Customer:

and i cant feel

Customer:

i dont know wt to do

DrFee :

I know it's terrible to feel worse, but it is often part of the process, especially with trauma like you've had. Oh? Why did she stop the EMDR?

Customer:

no

Customer:

it is not she who started it

Customer:

i start it in my countrie

Customer:

she never do any emdr to me

Customer:

i used to talk half tablet

Customer:

of remeron to feel

Customer:

after emdr

Customer:

i am taking 1 and half and i am dissoiated

Customer:

still dissoiated

Customer:

so what happend to me?

DrFee :

I see. Are you seeing a Psychiatrist in Canada? In addition to your therapist?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

no

Customer:

do you recommend me to?

DrFee :

Yes.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

but i tried

DrFee :

You are still taking remeron?

Customer:

do you know someone

Customer:

yes

DrFee :

OK, then you should definitely see a Psychiatrist. I do not know any in Canada, I am in the US. However, you may be able to find someone at either www.therapytribe.com or www.psychologytoday.com. The former website seems to have more Psychiatrists on it.

Customer:

i see

DrFee :

Or, your therapist may be able to recommend someone

Customer:

so why reexperincing increased?

DrFee :

the increased dissociation you mean?

Customer:

no

Customer:

after emdr

Customer:

i feel that re experincing of trauama happend

Customer:

i used to hv no re experincing

Customer:

when i start emdr in my countrie

Customer:

i felt that the fear goes on serfuce

DrFee :

Yes, but you did not get to finish the EMDR -- you stopped partway into the process

Customer:

yes

Customer:

thats happend

Customer:

i stoped

DrFee :

You may be less capable of "pushing away" the traumatic feelings than you were before you started the EMDR. This is not the only reason this occurs, it occurs in people without starting EMDR as well.

DrFee :

The "numbing" or ability not to re-experience the trauma is a coping mechanism that breaks down over time.

DrFee :

That's one reason that treatment is important.

Customer:

yes but wt should i do

Customer:

she refusied to make emdr to me

DrFee :

The new therapist? What does she want to do instead?

Customer:

she want the dissoiated get less

DrFee :

OK. Are you two working on that?

Customer:

no

Customer:

today i met her

Customer:

but i just dont feel good

Customer:

because i want to start emdr at once

Customer:

so i feel better

DrFee :

Maybe you need to ask her what her plan is to help you contain your dissociation. There are some therapists who do not use EMDR with dissociation, and there are some who are specially trained in it.

DrFee :

Overall, do you feel comfortable with your therapist?

Customer:

yes she is good

Customer:

i think so

Customer:

but happens if i was dissoiated

Customer:

and you did emdr?

DrFee :

OK, that's a good sign. It sounds like you just need to have more conversation with her about your treatment plan. It depends --do you have alters or do you just "leave the room" so to speak?

Customer:

yea

Customer:

but wt should happend

Customer:

if i did emdr now?

Customer:

she told me you will be in danger

Customer:

i couldnt ask her why

Customer:

so this is my q

Customer:

if ptsd caused dissoation

Customer:

and dissioation make things worse

Customer:

so what should i do

Customer:

to get out dissoiation without emdr

Customer:

i even was muvh much better

Customer:

before i start emdr in my country

Customer:

all sympotms come 10x

DrFee :

The EMDR can make the dissociation more intense, however, there are special protocols for using EMDR with dissociation. However, not every therapist is trained for that.

Customer:

i see

DrFee :

It can make a lot of sense to work on the dissociation before proceeding with the EMDR --but would require patience on your part.

Customer:

this is why thing get worse

DrFee :

You might feel better if you ask her what the plan is --how much less dissociation would she like to see in you before proceeding, etc.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

realy

Customer:

do you know ppl

Customer:

make it

Customer:

and wake up

Customer:

?

Customer:

is it very hard

DrFee :

I know you have had some intense trauma. It is painful and difficult. Recovery can seem so slow.

DrFee :

It is not an easy thing to get better when you've been hurt so badly.

DrFee :

If you need more support from your therapist --ask for it.

DrFee :

Maybe you need 2 sessions a week for awhile, or something like that.

Customer:

i see

Customer:

yes i guess so

Customer:

ok thank you very much

DrFee :

You are so welcome. I hope that therapy progresses well for you. Please keep your hope up, you can get to a better place than where you are right now!

Customer:

ok thank you

DrFee :

You are welcome. Take care and goodbye for now.

DrFee, Psychologist
Experience: I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
Expert:  DrFee replied 1 year ago.
Dear XXXX,

Thank you once again for your "excellent rating." I do appreciate it.

I hope that you are able to have a good conversation with your therapist about your treatment plan --I think that will help increase your hope that things can get better.

Take good care,
Dr. Fee