Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

Hi. I take emsam 12mg and am scheduled for ect with general

Hi. I take emsam 12mg and am scheduled for ect with general anesthesia. Is this a problem?
Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Ensam(as you know is an antidepressant). Coupled with ECT , as long as you are medically stable as approved by your Doctor -there should be no problem with this.

ECT is normally provided under general anesthesia and I am sure that if this is being provided by a trained Physician - you should have no reason to worry.

Modern electroconvulsive therapy is administered under general anesthesia, to ensure it is a safe and pain-free experience. You will therefore be unconscious during the treatment. As with any medical procedure involving general anesthesia, your doctor will talk to you about the associated risks and things to avoid before coming in for treatment.

See more information here:

It is common for people to have anxiety when when considering this treatment, however, it is very helpful and safe- particularly for persons with severe depression for people that have been unresponsive to medication.

I think all will be well and wish you the very best.

If you have further questions, feel free to respond. I am happy to help.

Kindest regards, Bill

Please Leave Positive Rating so that I receive credit for my time.

Thank you