TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I am 46 yr old female. Have highly stressed job. Mother causes

I am 46 yr old female. Have highly stressed job. Mother causes emotional distress due to irrational emotions, fighting. Been in Zoloft for 6 years 50mg till 6 months ago then upped to 100 mg / d. Father died recently. Am depressed, melancholic, irritable, foul moods. Tired and not sleeping. Should I try different medication?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

According to most research, anti depressants of the type that Zoloft is tend to lose effectiveness in two to three years. By the fourth year, even with adjustments to dosage, many individuals no longer experience the benefits of the medication as they once did.

Best practice indicates that at this point in your medication regime, you most likely would do better with a different medication. There are many other medications to try. However, be aware that you need to taper slowly off Zoloft before you can begin trying another medication. Here is a resource to help you with what anti depressants are available:

http://www.webmd.com/depression/depression-medications-antidepressants

You may also want to try therapy to help you cope with the many stresses in your life. Talk to your doctor about a referral. Talking to a therapist can help you reduce your stress and work through your grief.

If your mother causes emotional distress and you just lost your father, you are under a lot of pressure. Here are some ways to help you reduce your stress:

Relaxation- progressive relaxation of your muscles can help you learn to relax again. Lay down on your back. Start at your feet and tighten then let go of each muscle group. Do this slowly up your body until you reach your head. Do this each night and when you have time during the day. It teaches you how to relax and is useful when you find yourself feeling tense.

Deep breathing- people under stress often do not realize that they are breathing shallow which can cause you to feel lightheaded and tired. Practice taking deep breaths throughout the day to relax and center yourself.

Find time to relax- give yourself at least 30 minutes a day to do something mindless. Take a warm bath, listen to music, watch a favorite show, or take a walk for example.

Share your stress- talk to someone. Find support through family and friends. Do something with a church group. Sharing your stress can help you feel less burdened and therefore less upset.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Thank you so much for the positive rating and bonus. I appreciate it! Take care and if I can ever help again the future, please let me know.

My best to you,
Kate