Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

How to improve my energy level and not repeat myself through

How to improve my energy level and not repeat myself through OCD when reading mostly and doing other stuff? I have paranoid schizophrenia, OCD and Autism and taking medications.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Improving your energy is a step by step process. It is always wise to consider a physical issue as the cause first before you think about pursuing any emotional cause. So first step is to see your doctor to rule out any problems with low iron or a virus, for example.

The next step is to work on increasing your energy through diet and exercise. It's hard to believe, but exercising can raise your energy by building your muscles and keeping your blood flowing. Also, eat well which can provide your body with the needed nutrients to have energy. It sounds simple but it's true.

Keep your mind occupied as well. Find things that interest you and pursue them. Do fun activities that make you want to participate. Being around others can also energize you as well. Listening to music can help too.

Dealing with OCD is another issue. Here are some ways to cope with the symptoms of OCD so you can control them better:

Learn to relax- this helps a lot because one of the main issues with OCD thoughts and compulsions is the anxiety you experience with them, triggering the urge to act out. So learning how to keep calm when dealing with these thoughts can help. Here is a link to help you learn Progressive Relaxation, one of the best ways to control your anxiety:

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/pmr.htm

Write down your thoughts- by keeping a journal so you have a place to express your thoughts when they do bother you. It can also help to go back and see your progress or look at repeating patterns and how you handled them.

Make a list of activities- things you can do to distract yourself when you do experience OCD thoughts. Exercise, calling someone or watching a movie for example.

Give yourself a break- realize that OCD is caused by physical imbalances in the brain as well as anxiety. So telling yourself things like "This is just a physical response and it is not my fault" or "I can control this any way I want" and doing another activity instead of giving in helps as well.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What about just doing Tai Chi Kung Fu for exercise?

That is an excellent option!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why is it i have to keep rereading my magazine what i said in the question?

Why does my stomach hurt after i used your method of?: So telling yourself things like "This is just a physical response and it is not my fault" or "I can control this any way I want" and doing another activity instead of giving in helps as well.

It could be that your concentration is off. Or if you have anxiety that could be what is wrong. Learning to relax and focus can help a lot in improving your concentration.

I'm not sure why your stomach would hurt you after thinking about these ideas. It may be that you find it challenging or even anxiety arousing. That could make your stomach hurt.

Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did take quetiapine 600MG then that was one side effect do you think?

Now am on olanzapine 12.5MG and did take a medication to help the stomach pain or ache am taking Omeprazole even though on on the current medications because my psychiatrist said finish it off the remaining ones since they were for my old stomach pain or ache.

You may want to check with your prescribing doctor about that. It would depend very much on your health history and individual medical issues.

Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it ok if i can ask related questions after rating your help?

I will answer to the best of my ability, sure.

Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I used your last 2 methods: So telling yourself things like "This is just a physical response and it is not my fault" or "I can control this any way I want" and doing another activity instead of giving in helps as well. But there not working properly or wearing out why?

Do you know of any other methods i can do if i think i really need to go back and do the OCD again?

Do not give your obsession meaning- The more you focus on it, the more importance you give it. So treat it like it's nothing. "It's only my thoughts. It does not mean anything".

Cognitive behavior therapy can help a lot as well. It assists you in "retraining" your brain to think other thoughts and calming yourself so you don't feel the need to respond to the thoughts as much. And a therapist can help with exposure response prevention as well. It helps to have the support.

Read as much as you can about OCD and how to address it. The more you educate yourself, the better chance you will find things you can do to help yourself.

Kate

If you're satisfied with my response, please rate me highly. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a good link for OCD one that can be understood by a teenager level but from basic to higher?

This link should help:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/obsessive_compulsive_disorder_ocd.htm

Take care,

Kate