Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist

How can I help someone with Vitiligo on there genitals? He

How can I help someone with Vitiligo on there genitals? He can get an Erection but than when he thinks about someone seeing him with out his cloths on he goes limp. What can I do?? Please help !!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. L replied 1 year ago.

Dr. L :

Good Morning,

Dr. L :

This is an interesting question. Many people with vitiligo suffer from embarrassment and shame over their skin condition. Certainly...seeing the discoloration and different patches of color can be somewhat startling. But I tend to think that most people look beyond the discoloration and see it as no big deal...but do realize that the person with vitiligo is the one having the hard time.

Dr. L :

Our culture puts so much emphasis on physical beauty that those with vitiligo carry significant emotional pain. I can only imagine how this person feels when it is their penis that is discolored! Men tend to see their penis as a prideful piece of their anatomy...and so any imperfection is going to have a major impact on their self-worth.

Dr. L :

Unfortunately, there is no way to cosmetically cover up the discoloration (this can be done with vitiligo on one's face, arms, legs with special make-up). So...this man has no ability to "disguise" or "hide" his penis.

Dr. L :

The issue here is that he must work to accept the reality ... to come to peace with the vitiligo and not let the condition overpower his life to the point where he cannot perform sexually. Truly, a woman is not going to care if his penis is discolored! Sexually intimacy is about love..wanting to share one's self with another. What real difference does it make what color his penis is?

Dr. L :

But it is easy for me to say that..and not so easy for him to come to a place of acceptance and peace about this.

Dr. L :

Perhaps the best route here is for him to see a therapist to talk through this situation and to gain support in accepting that this is the body he has and that his penis will not frighten or scare off anyone who truly wants to be in a relationship with him. Pride is a powerful thing. But in this case, his pride may be getting in the way of his ability to find love and to be okay with himself.

Customer:

I got him VITILIGO ORGANICS this is an oil that you should apply daily. will this repigment his skin?

Dr. L :

No.

Dr. L :

That oil isn't going to make any long-term difference. It might temporarily color his penis. But that's it.

Dr. L :

Vitiligo occurs when the cells responsible for the pigment (skin color) on our body die. This cannot be reversed.

Dr. L :

Sorry.

Customer:

We do not have money to see a therapist. Can a mans penis be stimulate again after going limp? would it then just be up to his feelings in his mind?

Dr. L :

Sure...the penis can be stimulated again...touching and stroking should help with this.

Dr. L :

And yes...a lot has to do with what is in his mind. He needs to accept that his penis is not ugly and that it doesn't scare his partner.

Dr. L :

http://www.sofeminine.co.uk/mag/relationships/d476/x4765.html

Dr. L :

see this article about stimulating the penis...

Dr. L :

There is a good book about sexual arousal that might be helpful to you:

Dr. L :

Sex is Fun

Dr. L :

This is an easy to read book...very fun and interesting.

Customer:

Thank you so much Dr. L, I will share this information with him. I want him to enjoy haveing sex again. I will get this book and look into the web page. Thank you again.

Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience: Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist